Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the farm

Members

Around the farm

I was working on gathering the materials for a worm wicking bed. (I'll post that later on sometime)

Walking to the back barn I stepped on that lil guy, spooked me a little. Non poisonous but still too close to the house and the wildlife. I can't imagine my wife or the toddler stepping on it. I have about 10 or more 6 ft. diamondback skins that I caught in my yard.

Then spotted a cool little camo-frogger protecting my plants.

Re: Around the farm

yup that would have turned up the pucker factor to the 10th power
    one life one love.

Looks to me like a corn snake. Harmless rat snakes. I keep them as pets. They get tame very quickly. Mine takes mice right out of my hand, or at least dangling by the tail.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Snakes can be a pain. Out this way I'll relocate some but the browns you don't muck around with. Angry suckers that will come after you if they spot you.

Batter fried with tartar sauce.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Non poisonous snakes just require a cultural shift. My wife is willing to have them in the house to deal with rodents from the fish feed. She is a keeper.

I keep corn snakes and milk snakes. They can bite but can't harm you. A dog or cat can do far more damage but don't generate the same visceral response. I'd rather have a harmless snake in the basement than rodents crapping in my frying pan. Those are real choices.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

I think that snake was the same one I have removed from the yard a few times. We have baby rabbits around. Usually I'll pick them up and toss them in the woods. Last year I removed the same kind of snake several times. It kept coming back to the same spot.

Harmless lil oak snake, or rat snake is what they are called around here. But my wife would not come out of the house if she knew where I found it.

Grandpa was a rattle snake hunter, I can remember as a kid we were all playing in his house and looking up to see a rattlesnake curled around the top of a lampshade. As we freaked out he walked up to it and picked it up, threw it out in the woods. I'd go hunting with him and he'd find one, tell me to pick it up and put it in the bag. Tell me don't be a ____ and get him. Put them in a bag and save them for an annual rattlesnake roundup we have here. - good memories

So, do you carry "Ole Besty" there in the back glass of you P/U. Didn't know how country that part of the neck of the woods was, but back home (Poplar Bluff, Mo. in the Southeast foot hills of the Ozarks) they still carry any and all sorts of rifles & shotguns in the back glass and usually more than a couple not to mention what's under or behind the seat.

It's only an opinion, but that's the way America should be, back to it's roots and a simpler way of life. Never mink, don't get me started..!
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

It's been many years ago (about 41) that I lived in Waycross, Ga. and my best friend at the time was an Elvis Presley Look Alike called Bubba (naturally ). He was the snake handler for the Okefenokee Swamp Park just South of Waycross. He'd been bit by Moccasins and Rattlers more times than he could remember and he was only in his mid 20s at the time.

He and I use to go out in the fall of the year when the Rattlers would start dening up for winter. He was a whiz at finding dens. We'd smoke them out, bag 'em up and take them to Ross Allen's snake farm in Fl. Never hurts to have a little extra spending cash.

I use to have a 7'4" Rattler skin hanging on my wall that he gave me, that is until my house burned to the ground in June of '85 while my wife and I were in Fl visiting her mother. All we had left to our name was what we had with us, but that's another story.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

No, I am not allowed to carry it in the back window, according to the USA gov. I smoked the wacky weed when I was a teenager, got caught, and now have all my rights restricted.

But on that note, I think there would be less crimes if you hang your guns for the world to see. It would definitely make me think twice about messin round with some one or their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    He was the snake handler for the Okefenokee Swamp Park just South of Waycross.
    So you might know about Okefenokee Joe ! Ya gotta be swamp wise round here.

here is a few pics of what I find in the yard. The Two I'm holding came out of my grandpa's house after he passed. He didn't mind them being around, prolly the only friends he had left after 94 years. The house was about 150 years old.