Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Barrelponic School System

This is just a harmless type of what my grandmother called spider web mold. Spray it down real good with the hose (if not chlorinated), let it drain and dry real good and it will go away. It is just feeding on matter probably introduced from the roots of the Strawberries and is a natural action that takes place when the spores are present and there is moisture and something for them to feed on. Wash them out with the hose.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

JCO --- so it is really harmless? I don't need to wash everything out and such? That would make my life during finals SOOOOOOOOOO much easier!

Phoenix

Molds and bacteria of all kinds live in the soil and help break down all sorts of matter turning it into soil. If you hose down the media real good, you will not only wash away the mold but also that which the mold has been living on.

I was raised on my grandparent's farm and as nasty as it may sound, my grandmother never allowed me to wear shoes during the summertime because they had little money and could only afford one pair of shoes per year for me to wear to school...SSSOOOOOooooooo, imagine if you will...walking out into the barn lot to feed the horses, cows, chickens and pigs in your bare feet and then ask yourself how many germs were present in every step I took.

I've never really had a sick day in my life except for childhood measles and mumps...as an adult...only an occasional cold, of course I have had a few heart attacks and surgeries in the last few years but I don't think you can contribute that to my grandparents barn lot.

Ain't nothing like accidentally stepping in a piping hot, fresh cow patty with your bare feet....it oozzies up between your toes so warm... OK now that I've grossed everyone out....know this...what I have said is no joke, it's how poor folks grew up in the 40s & 50s when I was a kid.
    JCO
    so never forget

Members

JCO -- no worries. I totally understand the need to actually INTERACT with germs in order to have a good immune system. While I think I am a "bit" younger than you (actually I am only 32), I grew up with no antibiotics or antiseptics, I ate dirt and played in the local drainage ditches... I too only have the occasional cold these days and I usually only take my sick days as "mental health" days. Now that I am raising my son - I am treating him the same way - he HAS to be exposed to germs and such in order to develop his immunities.

More that I meant about "it is ok to just wash it down" was in regards to the plants.... I am relatively experienced in raising fish and such, but VERY inexperienced in raising plants... I just wanted to make sure that the fungus wouldn't kill my plants...

Phoenix

AAAHHHhhhh...so, your trying to make me feel old...HUH? Well, I guess I am getting there as I will be 67 in July, but since I plan on living to be at least 100, I guess I am still relatively young comparatively.

As for the mold, was any of it actually growing on the plants or just the media? You can always use a gentle spray from time to time on the plants to help remove dust and pollutants that settle on their leaves but as far as it hurting the plants, normally that kind of mold only attacks dead and decaying materials.
    JCO
    so never forget

Members

haha... not trying to make you feel old... just more info about me...

No, none of the mold was growing directly on the plants... just on the media surrounding them.... and nothing at all in the other growbed with the other plants....

If I wanted to spray with something as a preventative.... What would you recommend considering that this is AP and we can't use traditional antifungals....?

Phoenix

Plain chlorinated water...! Fish are very picky about their water
    JCO
    so never forget

Members

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    Plain chlorinated water...! Fish are very picky about their water
    WAIT, don't you mean DE chlorinated water????

Yep, that's what happens when you get old, but guess what, your memory isn't the only thing that goes arye
    JCO
    so never forget

Members

Ok .... so time to update. I rearranged the one light that I have on the system to shine over the GB with the the strawberries. Hopefully this extra light will coax them out of dormancy and get them to start sprouting.... We shall see! Everything else seems to be growing fine, maybe a bit starved for nutrients - but I went and bought some Maxi-crop today and I will start using it as a foliar spray until my little fish get a bit bigger... Speaking of my fishies.... My tilapia arrived today from Badflash (THANKS!!!) They seemed to be adjusting nicely to their new home... We shall see how they do in the coming days. I might have been a little premature in getting them, but I really wanted to get some fish in the system before the kids left for the summer (only 1.5 weeks left!!!!)

So far my ammonia is effectively at 0; so are my nitrites and it seems that my nitrate test kit has disappeared... (Silly students...) Maybe that is a good thing, maybe not... We shall see... I hope my fishies will be ok... If not I guess that I will be doing some water changes...

Phoenix