Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Hello from Dallas, TX

Floating raft and DWC seem to be the best way of growing lettuce and other smaller plants. I'd be incline to have gravel gb's to handle the bio and solids and have water return via a raft tub thats at the same height as the sump. Or have the rafts running from a filtered pump in the sump. Larger plants can go in the gravel, tomatoes and corn etc.

I have to agree. Growbeds with worms use the solids effectively. Their outflow of clean water can be used for rafts. Many plants can't handle having their roots under water full time and need the flood & drain system. The two compliment each other.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Alright, I have just completed some basic modifications to the little barrelponic unit that I have at my school. I am using this to get my students interested and also to show my admins that this is a great idea for our school... So far, that aspect is going pretty good - my dept chair is taking a proposal to the head of school about actually starting a foundation similar to Growing Power up in WI!

But anyway, about my system -- it is a basic Barrelponic system, except I have a Rubbermaid tote as the FT. Yesterday and today though I reworked one of the GBs to include a bell siphon. Tested it today - and it works great. Now that I know the design, I am going to work with my students this week and complete the siphon for the other grow-bed, and also add a framework to the sides so we can install our grow-lights and even some climbing trellis for cukes and other climbers...

I will take some pics tomorrow and the next day of my kids and I working on it and post them up for everyone to see and comment on. For now, I am just happy to have my bell siphon working! "Practical Engineering" 101 -- a.k.a. MacGyver-isms ---> gotta lot it!

Phoenix

WARNING! Do not stare at bell siphon it will hypnotize you. That thing had a hold of me for weeks.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

LOL Stucco, can you look indirectly at them? Like an eclipse?

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    WARNING! Do not stare at bell siphon it will hypnotize you. That thing had a hold of me for weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by REEFBUG
    LOL Stucco, can you look indirectly at them? Like an eclipse?

Or.....Wake up in the middle of the night and wonder...."Is it still working ?".... You know your going to go look !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

I gotta admit.... I might have checked the first one a few more times than strictly necessary after I installed the first siphon.....

oh well.... now I need to find someone to donate some more materials so we can build our bigger system at school!

Phoenix

Members

Hey GreenPhoenix,

I am new here as of today and I am in the Dallas, TX area. I work in Dallas and live in Frisco. I would be interested in chatting with you more about your ideas. I too am interested in a "Growing Power" idea here in this area. Please send me a PM.

Doc