Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Hello from Dallas, TX

Hello all, I am a teacher in North Texas located just outside of Dallas proper. I have a background in aquaculture, though that was with marine species... I have recently become interested in the methods of aquaponics and I am looking into these systems both to use in my classroom, and also on a semi-commercial scale in my backyard.

I would love to meet anyone else in this area that has any knowledge of AP. So if you are anywhere near Dallas, please let me know.

The system I am currently designing is going to be about 1500 gallons total and will most likely house tilapia and several species of vegetative and fruiting plants... Not sure yet, we are still designing it.

Green Phoenix

Re: Hello from Dallas, TX

Welcome to the forum GreenPhoenix, glad to have you aboard!!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Welcome!!! Enjoy the stay!

Members

Post you designs and any pictures. A few more eyes in the design stage can help a lot in the long run.

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I would love to meet anyone else in this area that has any knowledge of AP. So if you are anywhere near Dallas, please let me know.

The system I am currently designing is going to be about 1500 gallons total and will most likely house tilapia and several species of vegetative and fruiting plants... Not sure yet, we are still designing it.
    We don't have anyone from Dallas, AFAIK, but we're all willing to help here My FTs will total about 750 gallons when I'm done, but that will be another bunch of bucks before it will be done ..... I have to do things on a very limited budget, so it goes slow Once I figure that the room will stay warm enough to support vegetation, I plan to set up a riverbed system, with biofiltration and sump(s) to handle the FT load. We're all looking forward to your input and your queries
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Well I have to say that I am very enthused by the warm welcome from ya'll! This is going to be a heuge resource for me...

I must admit that right now, I am burning my candle at both ends AND the middle! End of year duties for a teacher are insane, expecially when all of this is combined with designing a new course and a new community outreach project. Not to mention I am also designing a business plan for my small scale commercial AP system and about ten other minor projects that I have rattling around in my head.... (At least I am never bored....)

In a nutshell, these are the two things that I am looking into right now: (equal priority levels)

1. Personal System - small scale commercial system (~1000-1500 gal volume). Raising tilapia and vegetables/herbs. I have the basic design done, I just need to fine tune my blueprint and that is ready to build. My problem at this point is that I need to find an investor to help me get the initial costs covered... I only need about $5k, but hey, I am a single-parent teacher!

2. School/Community Program - working with my school, the Nat. Hist. museum, and a local foundation to design a program to teach my students and the local public how to do AP. Then actually being able to take the food (fish/plants) and donate them to a locale food bank or kitchen. Once again I have the basics of the design covered, I just need to get some details such as funding and space (location) sorted out and then I will have a free hand to run with this....

But I promise that as soon as I have a few free moments, I will be posting all over this board and pick all of your brains for knowledge!

Phoenix

Unless you plan to buy everything, including a greenhouse, it isn't goint to cost 5K. Using small swimming pools and plastic barrels you can do what you want for around 2K and that includes a small greenhouse.

Look at the projects on the site. No reason to re-invent the wheel.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

I am not planning to re-invent the wheel, I have also budgeted into that amount that I should need to cover my electricity, water, propane (heaters) and also the fact that I am going to be working less at my other job..... That $5k amount includes all initial construction (which your right is going to come out at just about $2200) AND associated expenses for the first year of operation.

Phoenix

Welcome aboard greenphoenix! Check out the growing power folks, specifically how they rent/borrow roof top space inexpensively. If you are going to be giving vittles to the community maybe the community could give you some wasted rooftop space.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie