Thread: Cold water fish

Cold water fish

I currently raise Goldfish, a carp, but from what I've read, they are really bony, hard to fillet and hard to skin/scale. Does anyone have ideas about other cold water fish that might be able to be used in Aquaponics? These are the criteria I've set:
    1. Grow out - I'd like a fish that grows out to marketable/edible size in 6 - months to a year (like Tilapia).
    2. Weather tolerance - I'd like a fish that will survive freezing temps in the fish pond (Goldies can live under ice if you pump oxygen to them), as it gets to freezing temps under our building in the winter, and that's where I'd like to build some large tanks, then pump the water up into the living space where the grow-beds will be located. (Fresh veggies in the winter )
    3. Choices - I know that Rainbow trout are a possible choice, but how about crappie, or others. Rainbows, from what I've read, are a two year grow-out before they are ready to eat.
    4. Locale - I believe that most of the ones that have been mentioned in other topics (see # 7) would be good choices down South, but I'm in the frozen North
    5. Disease Resistant - I would like fish that are fairly disease resistant, as I am determined to raise them organically.
    6. Clean/Kosher - I would like fish that are Biblically "clean" or Kosher. To fit that description, they must have both fins and scales.
    7. Thanks - Since I'm new to aquaponics, I will have to rely on your expertise as far as fish that are easy to raise, quick to grow out, and disease resistant. I know next to nothing about bass, crappie, perch, sunfish, etc. I don't even know if they can be "farm raised," or whether there are breeders that sell them.
    8. Nothing hybrid - I am only interested in true fish, not something that has been hybridized by some scientist in a laboratory.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Re: Cold water fish

There is no fish I've heard of that meets your criteria. Tilapia are the only fish I know of that reaches market size that quickly, and as you know, they need heat. Nearly all other fish take 2 years.

If you run the numbers with aquaponics, you'll find that the produce ends up being worth twice what the fish are worth, so while a 2 year grow out may seem to be bad, the fish eat less.

The species that are well known in aquaculture in the USA are:
    http://www.ksuaquaculture.org/
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    There is no fish I've heard of that meets your criteria. Tilapia are the only fish I know of that reaches market size that quickly, and as you know, they need heat. Nearly all other fish take 2 years.

If you run the numbers with aquaponics, you'll find that the produce ends up being worth twice what the fish are worth, so while a 2 year grow out may seem to be bad, the fish eat less.

The species that are well known in aquaculture in the USA are:
    http://www.ksuaquaculture.org/
    this link doesn't work for me

I wasn't interested so much in selling the fish, I want to eat them !

All I was saying is that only tilapia get to usable size in a single season. If you want a harvest that quick, tilapia are the only choice. They get to 1.25 pounds in 4 months. Otherwise, many fish will get to usable size in 2 years, and you get all those veggies in the mean time. Once you have your system running for 2 years, you'll have fish all the time.

All I was saying is that only tilapia get to usable size in a single season. If you want a harvest that quick, tilapia are the only choice. They get to 1.25 pounds in 4 months. Otherwise, many fish will get to usable size in 2 years, and you get all those veggies in the mean time. Once you have your system running for 2 years, you'll have fish all the time.
    Yeah, I got that ..... I've got one of those heated buckets with a heater built in .... I might (later) get into Tilapia if I can figure out a way to siphon the water out of the bucket and into a tub ..... (can't destroy the bucket, it belongs to my son) another idea is, that I could, possibly, raise a few chiclids (Tilapia) in the 10 gallon tank once I get my AP setup running, then I'd have some fish to eat between now and two years from now Got any idea how many Tilapia I can raise in a 10 Gallon Tank? (from fingerlings to 4 month old) Also, if I were to buy some new ones every two months, so as to have a steady supply, are there any kind of Tilapia that wouldn't harm the younger fish? Keep in mind, that I will be buying these from a Billings pet shop as Chiclids - I only know of Convicts and African Mouthbrooders, and I would like to have a larger variety if possible. The convicts, if I remember correctly, do not get very large. I like the Nile Tilapia you have shown in the pics, if I can't find any locally, I guess I will have to see if I can get some from a breeder.

How do you regulate the temps on the bucket heaters you use? This one doesn't have a thermostat on it.

A 10 just isn't big enough. It isn't the water, but the space. A small tank stunts them. In a 40 gallon long you can keep about 16 1 pound fish if your filtration is good enough. I've done that. 10's are good for fry, but thats about it.

A 10 just isn't big enough. It isn't the water, but the space. A small tank stunts them. In a 40 gallon long you can keep about 16 1 pound fish if your filtration is good enough. I've done that. 10's are good for fry, but thats about it.
    Thanks, looks like I'll be using Rubbermaids And then I can make that filter you showed