Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: tilapia feed suppliers

Wolfia is hard to keep. It is so tiny that everything eats it and it ends up getting sucked into the AP and is lost. It needs still water to do well. I find the larger duckweeds much better. There isn't a big difference in nutrician.

Jackalope-
    Just say the word and I'll send you a mess. The local ponds here are loaded until it cools off, which could be any day.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

I'm feeding tilapia exclusively on food we raise on site, namely algae, zooplankton and insect larvae. Not all algae is so high in fat and yet, within the phytoplankton there are many organisms which fish like more than algae. So algae to feed fish as a supplement, like duckweed but with small microscopic organisms that feed on the algae as primary feed.

Problem with duckweed is that while it is a good food and great for wastewater remediation, it is hard to get much nitrogen per feeding. It has a very low nitrogen percentage.

You can see some of our videos on algae as a fish food at our algosolar website or google videos on tilapia feed and algae.

Duckweed is about 40% protien. How could that be low in nitrogen?

Hi Root Doctor...welcome to the forum...

You said duckweed is low in nitrogen....compared to....?
    I'm remembering reading...it's just over 6 % nitrogen.
    Of course, the water it was grown in and what type of duckweed....makes a differeance on the make up.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Questions are always welcome, don't be too skeeered to ask, we don't bite (well, maybe one or two of us, but not all of us ) We love questions, and we especially love photos Please be sure to put where you live in your profile so we know what part of the country/hemisphere/planet you are in ..... someone who lives nearby may be able to help you out personally as well.

We have a great FAQ button for navigating the website controls, etc. at the top of the page, next to the "Members" button, please check it out if you haven't already done so.
    We also have another FAQ section which contains many of the hints and tips that have been collected along the way ..........

Before posting any URLs or emails, please take a look at the Forum Rules .....
    If you see something that you would like added to these FAQs, please let a moderator or admin know, and we'll discuss it and possibly add it to the list!

BTW, we have a special section for off-topic conversations called "The Sump" to hopefully avoid crapping threads and keeping things on topic

Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Has anyone used Premium Fish Food Company's fish food. Here is the link to one of their products. What do you think of their ingredients?

http://premiumfishfood.com/zen/tilapia- ... ate-pellet

Doc
    Hi Doc,

That is where we got food from. It seems like it is very high quality. We would like to produce our own food when we get a little bigger, but I'm pleased with using this for now. I want to try and make food out of ground alfalfa, black soldier fly and duckweed as the main ingredients. I wish we could afford a pellet making machine, but even the cheapest ones we could find were at least three thousand or more. It would take a lot of food to make that money back.

That just seems ridiculously expensive. Check your local feed store. They definitely have better prices (less than 25% of what that costs). They often can special order feed if you are looking for something more specific (and they don't usually charge anything extra to do it).

If you have a local feed store ask them about the co-op list. Many belong to the co-op and can order quality fish food far cheaper than you think. You won't be paying shipping either. Look for a low fat feed with about 30% protein. Catfish food is not good for tilapia. You also want a floating feed. That way you know when they've eaten it.

If you pay more than $1 a pound it is not sustainable business wise.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    That just seems ridiculously expensive. Check your local feed store. They definitely have better prices (less than 25% of what that costs). They often can special order feed if you are looking for something more specific (and they don't usually charge anything extra to do it).
    Most of that cheap local feed store stuff is full of nasty things I wouldn't want in my system, and it usually lacks important vitamin content. I also use a lot less of the food because it is higher protein and has less filler ingredients. I've been extremely happy with it. I have also used AquaFarms food, and it was very good as well.

That is why you use the coop. not what they stock in the store. I've been using Zeigler's Finfish silver. It has more protein than I need for adults, but it works for all ages. Finfish Bronze is best for tilapia, but it isn't in the coop catalog yet.
    http://www.co-opfeed.com/pdf/FishPondSupplies.pdf