Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: tilapia feed suppliers

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    That is why you use the coop. not what they stock in the store. I've been using Zeigler's Finfish silver. It has more protein than I need for adults, but it works for all ages. Finfish Bronze is best for tilapia, but it isn't in the coop catalog yet.
    http://www.co-opfeed.com/pdf/FishPondSupplies.pdf
    Whoops, I know you have told me before, but I completely forgot to check my local store! Thanks, I will have to check next time I am up there!

Members

Hi im looking for some information on what to feed Talapia if im starting my own aquaponic system. I am looking to eat this fish almost every day but dont want to have mercury and pcb in the fish due to the amount of fish im gona be eating. Is there any fish food on the market that is actually pcb and mercury and heavy metal free?? Im also thinking of starting to grow duck weed but i fear I dont have enough room to make a big enough supply for the fish so im looking for a purchaced alternative. But again i stress it must be 100% pcb and heavy metal free cause I literally plan on eating this every single day forever. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Dean

Members

duckweed is ok for a fish food supplement but you still want to use a regular commercial fish food.. tilapia will be ok with i think 32 to 36% protein, which is what most catfish food is..
    silvercup is a pretty big "brand" name in ohio, purina makes fish food as well - check your local feed mill, you should be able to get 50lbs of good quality feed for around $35, i've read a few studies that show that tilapia have anywhere from a 1.2:1 to 1.5:1 food conversion ratio.. but you need a good food for them.. consider duckweed/veg scraps/bugs as a supplement to a quality fish food

Tilapia will take several months longer to reach the same size on 35% protein vs. 45% protein. There are many studies out there with more exact numbers for you, but if you are in no rush to grow your fish, the cheaper food with good supplementation is a good route.

"I am looking to eat this fish almost every day"

Try that for a few weeks, forever is a mighty long time