Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great bell valve construction video..!

The camera action is a little shaky because he is using his cell phone camera, but the bell valve he builds in great...

JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Re: GREAT BELL VALVE CONSTRUCTION VIDEO..!

cool, THX
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Affnan has good stuff!
    one life one love.

Members

Is there any other alternatives other than this method ? I couldnt find some of the parts in the local shops

Hey guys I was going to build a bunch of Affnan's Bell siphons for my grow beds and was wondering if anyone in the states had built some ? I wanted to know what you used for some of the part as it seems when you go world wide parts ain't parts no mo . I think I have translated most of his parts but a couple I'm not sure . Starts out with a 25mm bulkhead and that would be 1" then it goes to a 40mm Bell reducer which would be 1.5" x 1" . The outside pipe to keep the media out he says 110 mm so I guess 4" septic would work best there . Now you are left with a pipe and a cap that he has as 80 mm and that's 3.1" which seems to me to be an odd sized pipe and an odder size cap and am not finding any thing like that . IDeas ,what did you use ?
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

I did add a reducer to the top of my stand pipe, on my existing bell set up. That got mine to actually work.
    I didn't copy his 'sizes'....just the concept.

We do have 3 " pipe in the US....I think it would fit inside the 4 " (?) The 'outside' of the 3 " cap would be the widest point......a little trip to the hardware store and do a test on that.

They 'should fit' Mike......fyi....I stayed up late and now I'm just starting on my 1st cup of coffee...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Thanks David
    I figure exactness was not a requirement but guess I have never seen that size (maybe cuz Iwas not looking ,duh ) After posting this I found a site with tons of PVC/ABS fittings . In a past life I did plumbing for spa's and pools and building solar systems and guess I never ran across that size .
    Hardware stores just aint what they used to be . Was at home depot ,asked where the bulkhead fittings were ,had to say it like 10 times and the guys all just gave me a blank stare . It's not like I was in New England with my Tx drawl ,this is Tx Anyway I will post up the link for the place I found . Don't know if the prices are than great or what kind of service they give ,,,but they do have anything and everything
    http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?ca...uples-Reducing
    Maybe this will help someone else as I have seen people on Affnan's blog saying they can't find fittings
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

Mike....if I'm going through something on the thin size, I use a male and female pvc adapter from the ELECTRICAL dept...the threads are straight. They will screw almost 100 % together...just make a rubber gasket or use 'silicone'
    Some people fuss about gray PVC.

Aquatic eco systems has several different types, sizes and materials of bulkheads.
    I use the 'economy' bulkheads...a 2 inch, is around 8 bucks

I've used uni-seals too.

EDIT:
    LOL....should of checked your link...before responding.
    Wow...they have lots of stuff.
    Wonder how bad the postage would be...they gave their hours of operation in PST
    I'm spoiled...I can drive to Aquatic Eco....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

ROFLMAO
    Damn Dave too much coffee this morning ,
    Thats ok cuz I found the link for that site in a link post here on the site after I posted it
    I would say shipping would not be that bad but some companies tend to try to make money on shipping too so can't say . I may run down to a plumbing supply house before I order anything but almost hate to shop local ,as they always ask "Well what are you using this for ?" and that turns into a hour conversation on AP . Not that I have any problem at all talking for an hour or so but it does take away the time to work on stuff !
    I am always up late but then I hate coffee as much as mornings
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodmike
    but almost hate to shop local ,as they always ask "Well what are you using this for ?" and that turns into a hour conversation on AP . Not that I have any problem at all talking for an hour or so but it does take away the time to work on stuff !
    ....it's all part of the 'addiction'...
    Hi, My name is Dave...and I'm an AP-aholic...