Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE..?

Code:
    "?"....you lost me on that one.
    The sump is where the pump is. (PIST)
    Most people refrain from 'pumping' solids. In gravel GB's, it would be OK. Even then, you increase the chance, your pump 'might 'plug.
    But with NFT, DWC, towers, or continous flow, like my set up, I wouldn't want to be pumping solids. It breaks them up, then it's even harder to remove. One would be trying to remove them 'first'.
    Preferably..the sump is called a sump because it catches all the goop (poo) etc. in their case, it is the clarafier as they called it.
    Once the goop has been removed after having transversed the sump slowly enough to allow all particles that will, to drop to the bottom to be flushed out from the bottom as she shows in the video when describing the clarifier.

Once the goop is removed, then is when the water should go to the bio-filter to make all the changes to the nitrites etc. and that's where I have always placed my pump...to pump the water to the GB.

According to how the system is set up, how many pumps you are using, where the FT is located, above - below - same lever as Sump (clarifier) - GB - bio-filter.

There are so many ways to set up a system, but all the components regardless of whether they are above, below or same level as the GB....they have to follow in a manner that allows for the water to flow from the fish to the sump, then the bio-filter and from there to the GB and then back to the fish clean of goop and clear of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Your right JCO....there are many ways to set up a system. Also your right about the 'bio' . It should be before the plants.

In your drawing ( nice drawing by the way)....there is a pump on the leaving side. That would make it a 'sump'.

Take away the pump in your drawing....turn the 90 upside down. The water can flow without being pumped.
    Infact, the pipe can go all the way to the ground/floor travel across it....to the GB's. The pipe can turn up and still carry water to the height of the beds, as long as it's lower then the height of the water in the clarafier.
    I believe that's how their set up is.

Here you see the exit pipe of my clarafier, comming out the side of the tank. It travels down to and across the ground. Then turns up and into the GB without being pumped. The pipe (on the ground)keeps going to another GB and to the duckweed tank.
    The water level in the clarafier, is at the upper line on the outside.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Plants can metabilize ammonia and urea, so for the plan't sake, it doesn't matter. The best of both worlds is a gravel bed F/D feeding a FT for stuff like lettuse. The gravel bed IS the biofilter. My system uses an aquacube in with the fish for bio-conversion. That way a pump failure, or excessive harvesting doesn't upset the apple cart bio-wise. The air and pump are on separate circuits just in case.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow