Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fish Emulsion

Re: Fish Emulsion

I've tried both UF- try for yourself. The salt stays in solution. It isn't a theory for me. Not hard to say at all. Maggots like both of them.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Hm, I'd love to see what and how you did everything and compared the methods! I'm curious how you know if salts, and how much, were in the final solution?

Also, are you using lye/caustic soda/sodium hydroxide (NaOH) as your neutralizing agent or lime (Ca(OH)2) as stated in the first post??? Keeping the sodium out to begin with is probably the best theory of all!

Try this simple test. Add HCL to water, then react it with some NaOH. Test for salt. See if you smell chlorine.

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Try this simple test. Add HCL to water, then react it with some NaOH. Test for salt. See if you smell chlorine.
    That experiment does not account for the time you let the solution sit being heated by the sun. Regardless, if you're so sure, then just use lime as stated in your original post... No sodium (Na), no problem... or should I say Na problem???

Why don't you post your results?

Members
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer View Post
    That experiment does not account for the time you let the solution sit being heated by the sun. Regardless, if you're so sure, then just use lime as stated in your original post... No sodium (Na), no problem... or should I say Na problem???
    Chlorine gas might "off-gas" given time, like in swimming pool water. But when you put HCl in water, you don't get chlorine gas, you get Chlorine ions. The reason HCl, or NaCl for that matter dissociate in water into their ionic components is because water molecules LOVE those electrically charged ions. The chlorine isn't going to get away from the H2O no way no how.