Quote Originally Posted by badflash
HCL + NaOH==> H2O+ NaCL. That is salt and won't be released. KOH ends is the KCl. Both end up with ionic chlorides nd are bad for plants.

H2SO4 +NaOH==> H2O +NaSO4. Probably less of an issue, but Sulfuric acid is really nasty stuff. Phosphoric Acid is far safer. Use of Phosphoric Acid also maintains organic certification. I can't say where you would be at with other acids.
Hydrochloric acid also maintains organic certification.

Those are correct in that they are balanced and the right resulting reaction, but that is not what would happen in your situation:

Step 1
HCl + H2O => H3O + Cl-

Step 2
............(Chlorine volatilizes)
H3O (aq) + Cl- (aq) => H3O (aq) <=> H2O (l) + H+ (aq)

Step 3
H3O (aq) + NaOH (aq) => 2H2O (l) + Na+ (aq)

That is what happens if you allow some time before adding the base (neutralizer); the chlorine will volatilize (off gas). As I mentioned, you can also boil the solution to be 100% sure there is none left since chlorine has a 0 solubility in aqueous solutions at 100 C/212 F. Remember, HCl is a strong acid. A strong acid is an acid that ionizes completely in an aqueous solution. Your formula below is only applicable to your situation in the absence of time: HCl + NaOH => H2O+ NaCl

As far as the sulfuric acid, I didn't think it would be an issue either (I thought you would have calcium though). The plants will absorb both elements, and under certain conditions may even absorb large quantities of the sodium (Na).

Do you have to use sodium hydroxide (lye) as your neutralizing agent? I thought you were using lime (Ca(OH)2), which would yield calcium based salts that are common fertilizers...

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
The fish oil can be put to a variety of uses, including bio diesel if you have enough of it. The emulsion is neutralized with lime...
I'm not at all familiar with the process, but I would imagine the acid and base used only has to do with adjusting the pH and not adding anything BAD into the mix. This would give you a TON of options, in some cases cheaper! I know you want to keep it organic; so, this would limit as well, but not all that much. Does that sound right or...?

BTW, I really think this is a great idea. In fact, I was just telling my friend all about it yesterday (and your squeal quote). Sulfuric acid is very cheap (battery acid) and so is lime (calcium hydroxide, about $1 a pound local, cheaper than lye I believe). I'm sure you will figure it out, but if you want help with brainstorming some chemicals, don't hesitate to ask buddy!