Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DUCKWEED, which one ?

Stucco had given me some duckweed awhile back. I eventually ended up feeding it all to the tilapia. So...I went on a hunt for some more. I found some, and brought home a 5 gallon bucket full. I noticed, this was much larger......so I did a little research......

Small duckweed.....Lemna valdiviana
    http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/226

Giant duckweed.....Lemna valdiviana
    http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/435

I've got the new stuff floating in a kiddie pool, with some bleach added. Hope that takes care of any 'extras' I may have picked up. Then I'll get to see if they'll eat the large stuff (?)
    They eat about any leaf I've tried so far....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Re: DUCKWEED, which one ?

I use a couple of half drums that get a bit of AP flow to grow duckweed. The fish are kept away so they can't eat it all and so far it grows all year. Even the cod tank and swirl filter can grow some extra duckweed.

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Stucco had given me some duckweed awhile back. I eventually ended up feeding it all to the tilapia. So...I went on a hunt for some more. I found some, and brought home a 5 gallon bucket full. I noticed, this was much larger......so I did a little research......

Small duckweed.....Lemna valdiviana
    http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/226
    I bought some small duckweed ..... it was Lemna Minor .... I'm still hoping to find someone that sells Wolffia (water meal) ..... Duckweed doesn't grow real well for me ..... it dies out after a few weeks, but when I have it the fish really like it! I don't see it in the creek here, so maybe it's the water hereabouts.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

I've got some wolffia, just waiting for the weather to warm up. This stuff is hard to deal with, I'll warn you in advance. Being so tiny it gets into lots of places you don't want it.

The other duckweed I have is around 1/8" in diameter. Grows like mad and the tilapia love it. I got my start from a gold course pond in Richmond VA about 5 years ago. The stuff can not be stopped!
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I've set up a 'kiddie pool' as a duckweed pool. I'm feeding it water, comming out of the swirl filter. The 3/4 inch pipe goes to the bottom. I drilled 2 small holes in the side of a slip cap, just enough for a slow flow of water.
    The drain is a slo-drain, picking up water from the bottom, so the duckweed will stay in the pool.

Not real fancy....but the pool was 'free'....

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Cool!
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I've got some wolffia, just waiting for the weather to warm up. This stuff is hard to deal with, I'll warn you in advance. Being so tiny it gets into lots of places you don't want it.

The other duckweed I have is around 1/8" in diameter. Grows like mad and the tilapia love it. I got my start from a gold course pond in Richmond VA about 5 years ago. The stuff can not be stopped!
    The duckweed you sent me is the last stuff that died ..... I'm thinking it's the water here .... I've tried duckweed from about 4 different sources, and none lived longer than a couple of months .... and it doesn't reproduce well either, I've read that it will reproduce by double each dday or two, but I had some outside last summer and it died before it could cover the water in a coolr ..... this is waste fish water, not tap water!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

I read somewhere that duckweed does not like acidic water but likes iron.
    i had one Rubbermaid tub with duckweed that got taken over by algea, foaming and oozing couldn't even see the duckweed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanrunoff
    i had one Rubbermaid tub with duckweed that got taken over by algea, foaming and oozing couldn't even see the duckweed anymore.
    Did you have water flowing through it....?

I got this 'link' from Sylvia at Aquaponic Gardening. I call it..."More then you'll ever want to know about duckweed"....

http://www.fao.org/Ag/AGAInfo/resources ... DW/Dw2.htm

Members

well now that's some info

and no i did not have water flowing through it... guess i got a new project now