Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Hello from Boston

Hey guys I am a hippy from Vermont that has found himself in a apartment just north of Boston, I am looking for a way to grow fresh herbs year around. I have an old 30 gallon aquarium that I intend do use for my fish tank, and I have a plastic grow bed that will fit on top. I have a timer from hydrofarm and I small aquarium pump.

I kinda made a mistake I put a drain in the side of my plastic grow bed but I didn't make it all the way to the bottom. It is probably 1/2 an inch from the bottom. Is that going to be a problem?

I have no drill or saw as I am a city kid, so I am going to use a loop siphon in hopes that that will work.

I hope to have some pictures up shortly after I get the aquarium clean, it has been sitting outside for at least a year. Anyway I just wanted to say Hi, and I am so glad I found this forum.

Re: Hello from Boston

Howdy and welcome. Checkout wolfracers thread, he drains from the side with loop siphons and it certainly doesn’t look like he has any problems. You have defiantly found a good way to grow fresh herbs year round and a good place for info or showing off photos of your system.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Hi Nate... ....interesting sounding set up. Looking forward to some pictures.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Hey guys I am having some issues with my setup and I was wondering if you guys can help. I am thinking about doing a system much like wolf racers but I have no idea about any of this plumbing stuff. I am going to make an order from Aquatic Eco solutions because my local hardware stores or aquarium stores don't seem to carry this stuff.

So I have this:

and I am ordering this:

BKF123 - 1/2", FIPT x Slip Fitting
    https://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategorie ... s-Economy/

Is that the right one I have no idea what FIPT or slip mean?

How can I connect the elbow to the bottom of the bulkhead fitting?
    62087 - Elbow, 1/2" NPT x 1/2" barb
    https://www.aquaticeco.com/customers/su ... PT-x-Barb/

and this is the tube to make the siphon it says outside diameter so I figure this should fit the 1/2 inch right?
    TA2 - Acrylic Tubing, 3/4" O.D.
    https://www.aquaticeco.com/customers/su ... ic-Tubing/

Thanks for your help in advanced guys

f.i.p.t stands for female internal pipe thread. Slip, is just a normal slide the pipe in type. Looks like the bulkhead fitting and the elbow will work together. I don’t think the pipe will work at 3/4” ½” is what you need. I would go with regular pvc pipe from the home store not the expensive acrylic . To plumb through the side you will need a 90@ ½”to make the upturn on the stand pipe.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

one of these?

Members

The elbow you linked to in the first post will work if you plan on attaching flexible tube to it... http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...-Tubing/hose/0 TV70F 5/8" O.D., 1/2" I.D., per foot

The second elbow is used for connecting two lengths of flexible tube together at 90deg.

I think you would be better off using Uniseals with standard pvc fittings. You can get the uniseals at Aquaticeco and then get all of the pvc local. That way it will cost less and if you forget a fitting or get the wrong size, you will be able to pick one up faster rather than waiting to have another shipped to you.

I’m sorry; I guess you don’t need the 90 on the inside with the loop. The elbow you have with the male threads is the one you need for the female bulkhead.

Members

yeah I think I am actually going to copy wolfracers set up it seems like it works well for him and is pretty simple.