Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

Re: California regulations & aquaponics

there are only three fish that i am aware of that the state of ca will really come down on someone for: piranah, snakeheads, and red arowanas. you can go to any cichlid club and probably find what you want in cichlids. if you make a commercial business out of it you will probably enter into a personal relantionship with the fish and game, but if you are quiet they will never know.

Members

As you know, aquaponics has all sorts of potential to benefit society and our environment. At the same time, the practice of aquaponics has the potential to contribute to the risk of fish disease and proliferation of invasive species that may threaten commercial aquaculture and natural resources. In California, the state Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is considering how to minimize those risks while promoting the beneficial aspects of aquaponics. One aspect of that effort involves developing appropriate regulations for the practice of aquaponics. A group of aquaponics practitioners, state agency personnel, and academic personnel, together comprising the Aquaponics Subcommittee (APS) of the Aquaculture Development Committee (ADC) that advises the CDFW’s Aquaculture Coordinator, has come up with an initial proposal for regulation of aquaponics in California. The ADC wants input on the proposal from the aquaponics community between now and their next meeting on January 8, 2015, at which time they plan to discuss the proposal and any input received. A number of members of the aquaponics community, including myself, have volunteered to solicit input from aquaponics folks.

The initial proposal is posted at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing. However, I think a discussion of terminology is necessary before you read it. The proposal makes a significant distinction between aquaponics operations that sell fish and those that do not. Unfortunately, the proposal uses the terms “commercial” and “non-commercial” to describe those two different categories, which is potentially confusing because an aquaponics operation that sells only vegetables and does not sell fish would be categorized as non-commercial in this context, even though in any other context, it would be considered commercial. So, I have taken the liberty of inserting the alternate terms “fish-selling” and “non-fish-selling” into the text of the proposal below.

Similarly, at one point the proposal describes an aquaponics operation that “produces” fish. “Produces” could be interpreted to mean a breeding operation to produce fry/fingerlings/juveniles, but according to the APS member who submitted the proposal, that is not the intended meaning. As such, I have taken the liberty of inserting the alternate term “utilizes,” which is more accurate.

PLEASE READ AND THINK ABOUT THE PROPOSAL AND SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS BY DECEMBER 31, 2014. You can submit your comments by posting a reply on this forum, or you can send comments directly to me at joezbro@gmail.com. I will forward all comments received by December 31 to the APS prior to their January 8 meeting. Feel free to contact me with any questions as well.

Paul

Paul Trudeau
    Southside Aquaponic Farm
    Sacramento
    916-533-5268 mobile

PS: If you are a member of a local group on this forum, please notify your group members of this issue and direct them to the discussion posted here, as opposed to re-posting this announcement or the proposal in your own local group - I think it will be less confusing to have this single central thread where people comment. Thank you.

The government already has enough laws limiting businesses and should not pick on one segment of business separately. As far as an individual's hobby, the government has absolutely no business butting in as long as no laws are being violated. Tell California to try to balance a budget before creating anything else to do. That last statement goes for all states as well as the federal government too.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTrudeau
    As you know, aquaponics has all sorts of potential to benefit society and our environment. At the same time, the practice of aquaponics has the potential to contribute to the risk of fish disease and proliferation of invasive species that may threaten commercial aquaculture and natural resources. In California, the state Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is considering how to minimize those risks while promoting the beneficial aspects of aquaponics. One aspect of that effort involves developing appropriate regulations for the practice of aquaponics. A group of aquaponics practitioners, state agency personnel, and academic personnel, together comprising the Aquaponics Subcommittee (APS) of the Aquaculture Development Committee (ADC) that advises the CDFW’s Aquaculture Coordinator, has come up with an initial proposal for regulation of aquaponics in California. The ADC wants input on the proposal from the aquaponics community between now and their next meeting on January 8, 2015, at which time they plan to discuss the proposal and any input received. A number of members of the aquaponics community, including myself, have volunteered to solicit input from aquaponics folks.

The initial proposal is posted at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing. However, I think a discussion of terminology is necessary before you read it. The proposal makes a significant distinction between aquaponics operations that sell fish and those that do not. Unfortunately, the proposal uses the terms “commercial” and “non-commercial” to describe those two different categories, which is potentially confusing because an aquaponics operation that sells only vegetables and does not sell fish would be categorized as non-commercial in this context, even though in any other context, it would be considered commercial. So, I have taken the liberty of inserting the alternate terms “fish-selling” and “non-fish-selling” into the text of the proposal below.

Similarly, at one point the proposal describes an aquaponics operation that “produces” fish. “Produces” could be interpreted to mean a breeding operation to produce fry/fingerlings/juveniles, but according to the APS member who submitted the proposal, that is not the intended meaning. As such, I have taken the liberty of inserting the alternate term “utilizes,” which is more accurate.

PLEASE READ AND THINK ABOUT THE PROPOSAL AND SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS BY DECEMBER 31, 2014. You can submit your comments by posting a reply on this forum, or you can send comments directly to me at joezbro@gmail.com. I will forward all comments received by December 31 to the APS prior to their January 8 meeting. Feel free to contact me with any questions as well.

Paul

Paul Trudeau
    Southside Aquaponic Farm
    Sacramento
    916-533-5268 mobile

PS: If you are a member of a local group on this forum, please notify your group members of this issue and direct them to the discussion posted here, as opposed to re-posting this announcement or the proposal in your own local group - I think it will be less confusing to have this single central thread where people comment. Thank you.
    WOW! I wonder why is this happening?

"A group of aquaponics practitioners, state agency personnel, and academic personnel, together comprising the Aquaponics Subcommittee (APS) of the Aquaculture Development Committee (ADC) that advises the CDFW’s Aquaculture Coordinator, has come up with an initial proposal for regulation of aquaponics in California."

??????????????????????????????? TRAITORS????

There are so many reasons I miss California. Regulations and taxes are not on my list.

As for traitors probably not. More like an attempt to steer a train away from a cliff.

Not to hijack the thread, but one more comment and I get off my soapbox. Topz they are the engineers who have steered the train in that direction in the first place. I believe this last election proved the people have had it with big government. California being the biggest short of the Feds. "Back off" has been said, the next will be a call to action if the governments don't pay attention.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Roger I whole heartedly agree the last election proved we were all tired. Hopefully it carries forward to the next election and beyond.

Members

There is now a specific online site for submitting comments on the California aquaponics regulation proposal:

http://www.caaquaculture.org/2014/11...es-aquaponics/

Paul

As for what I think, this is what I submitted to the Calif. nair-do-wells who are screwing with something they know nothing about and that needs to be left alone.

I was introduced to Aquaponics in 1967 by a friend who is now passed and I have been actively involved in Aquaponics ever since. I also own and operate one of the first and largest Aquaponic websites on the internet with members from all over the world. What Aquaponics means to the people all over the world including Americans is the freedom to raise our own food without interferrence from anyone, government included.

As for invasive spices, the tropical frish trade has for about 75 to 100 years brought all kinds of aquatics into America from all ove the world, fish, crayfish, shrimp and on and on. If you had regulated that trade in the past, there wouldn't be a problem now.

Florida probably has the largest number of non-native spices present in our waterways than any other state including Calif. but suddenly Calif wants to regulate the practice of Aquaponics because we use fish to provide the nutrients to feed our plants.

Aquaponic operations which sell fish either wholesale or retail should not be regulated anymore than those individuals who have Hybrid Striped Bass or Catfish aquacullture farms raising millions of fish to be sold consumed by the American public.

Keep your hands and idiot ideas off Aquaponics and leave us alone.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

JCO - did you get any response from them? lol
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar