Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Members

California regulations & aquaponics

Hi all,

I went to the monthly state Fish & Game Commission meeting last week to inquire as to their attitude toward backyard aquaponics. They pointed me to the state director of fisheries, who spoke with me during a break. He says they are aware of the growing number of people interested in aquaponics and will review how or whether it fits into their current fish and game regulations. They'll present their findings to the Commission in a month or two and will keep me posted.

Paul

Re: California regulations & aquaponics

My understanding of the current regulation is that internal recirculation for personal (non-commercial) use is not regulated unless specifically prohibited. O. mossambica is not restricted, but most other species of tilapia are.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Thanks for the reply, Badflash. I've read some of the reg's and other Dept. of Fish & Game materials, and I've spoken with a few different DFG staff in recent months. Some sources support your interpretation, but I've found the information from the various different sources to be inconsistent. I'm hoping we'll get some more clarity in coming months.

Members

I think a problem with Dept's and councils is once you ask them they tend to find a reason to regulate. And in turn generate a revenue from.

We spoke to the division of aquaculture here in Florida. Those folks were interested in different types of fin and shell fish for use in home recirculating systems, but even they have to ask the good old boys down at the Florida wildlife commission. The point is that the F.W.C doesn’t have the time or money to check up on a bunch of small time operations. They want to keep it down to a few large operations they can check up on, or take collection from. Pay for permit, jump through hoops, pay to keep the permit and then it’s not worth it.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

I share folks' hesitation about approaching the authorities directly, but I guess I'd like there to be a way for home aquaponics to be legal here if possible. In any event, I get the impression DFG has been aware of aquaponics and has been in the process of taking a look at how their regs do or should apply to the practice, whether or not any of us ask them to do so. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

You can't sell tilapia for bait anywhere in california except the Salton Sea. I guess that makes sense. nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=3253

Below is the governing document.
    State of California - The Resources Agency
    DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME
    RESTRICTED SPECIES LAWS AND REGULATIONS
    IMPORTATION, TRANSPORTATION AND POSSESSION OF WILD ANIMALS - MANUAL 671
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg1518.pdf is the current regulation sited for tilapia.
    671. Importation, Transportation and Possession of
    Live Restricted Animals.
    1. Tilapia sparrmani (Banded tilapia) (D).
    2. Tilapia zilli (Redbelly tilapia) (D), except permits may
    be issued to a person or agency for importation, transportation,
    or possession in the counties of San
    Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San
    Diego, and Imperial.
    3. Tilapia aurea (Blue tilapia) (D).
    4. Tilapia nilotica (Nile tilapia) (D).

O. mossambica is not on the list and so is legal unless there is some local regulation against it.

Hybrids like Rocky Mountain White would be declared illegal after some investigation as they are a cross between two restricted species.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

time to cut their budget
    if they have time to worry about what little geeks like me do in their backyard ,then they are clearly overstaffed and a budget cut should be in order.

California is going through a budget crisis right now, and threatening to go bankrupt ..... but they still enforce their stupid illegal regulations ..... why do I say illegal? Because their constitution says the same as everyone else's, ONLY Congress (legislature) shall make the laws ....... but the population (including the legislators, judges, and liars/lawyers) has become so dumbed down concerning the state and federal constitutions, that the legislatures allow these departments to make the "laws" which they call rules, and then let them enforce their own rules as if they were law ...... stupid ..... and totally unconstitutional!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Badflash, I agree with your reading of the regs, but not everyone I've spoken with at DFG does. It's a little disconcerting how different the interpretations are that one gets from gov.t staff depending on who you talk to.