Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Introduction:

Re: Introduction:

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa urban farmer
    Hi my name is Lisa and I live in Florida(Tampabay) I have a 1000 gal koi pond and a 1300 gal pond .I am planning on taking the 1000 gal and take out the koi and put in Talapia and then make some form of aquaponic system of it.I would like to produce prawns also.I am in the planning stages now.The ponds are in full sun but I can use shade cloth over them if necessary.I would like any imput as to what kind of grow bed to use to also do the prawns.I have 2 small 5x6 1 ft deep ponds next to each pond and would like to use those to start,they waterfall into the big ponds which really airiates the water . Any suggestions will be appreciated. I also raise meat rabbits,quail,pheasants and have hens for eggs. I am trying to make us as self sustainable as possible .Is there something I can do for organic food for the Tilapia that I can make here at home?
    Hi Lisa, Welcome to the forum .... glad to have you here! Sounds like you've got the start of a huge aquaponics system going for you. I kow nothing about the prawns, so I can't help you there - but i'm with you on the Tilapia, that's the way to go as far as fish, in my estimation. With you living in Florida, you should be able to find a lot of Duckweed, waterletuce, azolla, and other plants that the Tilapi would eat ..... in addition, I have Guppies that I allow to swim with my Tilapia fingerlings .... as the female Guppy gives birth, the young can swim for a haven of plastic plants floating on the top ..... but the Tilapia usually are faster than them and intercept them ..... eventually, the Tilapia will get too large for the Guppies and eat the females and males, and that will be the end of that food fest. As the Tilapia get older, I plan to put the Marmorkrebs into the tank, and as they have their young, that will give the Tilapia more fresh food. They will also eat lawn clippings (non weed-treated or fertilized), lettuce, spinach, and other green veggies from what I've read. Just a few things I can think of to keep my tanks as "organic" as possible.

Another thing ..... if you could grow algae, hey love algae

Again, welcome
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

i am new to aquaponics help me how to build it

Hi yuganthan, welcome to the forum....

The best place to start is ..."Aquaponics 101" by oliver. Lots of great info there....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!