Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introduction:

Re: Introduction:

The 10 X 12 Green House I'm Trying to get built is also from harbor frieght . The kansas Weather is giving me fits trying to find a calm day to get it assembled. I guess I'll work on grow beds instead. I have attached a picture of the radiant heat tubing in the pad frame before my son and I poured concrete.

Members

Helllo Wolfracer

how will you be heating the water?

My family always complains over the water bill even though I told them that the neighbors is twice ours...LOL
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Quote Originally Posted by mommyhen42
    how will you be heating the water?
    Various methods, I'm planning on solar with a large storage tank and electric backup. This is all a big science project for me. I love to tinker with stuff. We want to prove the radiant heat concept along with wind and solar stuff, so I thought I would combine all this on a small scale with aquaponics since I am really interested in the self sufficiency aspect of this. I am going to start a build thread in the backyard system section.

Members

Hey I was reading about those Black Soldier Fly Larvae..they sure can make compost
    in a dang hurry! Worms are great but those suckers eat everything and anything.

great pics wolfracer..please keep em coming..we all learn from each other it's neat that way
    ""we are what we eat""

BSF have advantages, but they are not very efficient. Less than 10% return compared to almost 100% fom worms. The big difference is that they consume stuff worms can't, and do it in a hurry.

They eat dead meat, like left over fish parts, raw manure, and just about any sort of garbage. I'm going to keep both.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Oh well that makes a diff then..I like worms anyway 10% not good sounds like
    they are in a hurry and don't eat their meals well?
    ""we are what we eat""

I'm looking forward to experimenting with them. They produce huge amounts of "tea". I'm thinking that the tea can be used to make methane for power and then the resulting liquids will make super fertilizer. Check my post in Bioponics for where I'm going with this.

Members

I will ...sounds good!
    ""we are what we eat""

Members

Hello
    I'm George from South Africa.
    I've been breeding tropical fish for quite a while.
    I've also been planning a local community project to help the locals grow their own food.
    I stumbled across aquaponics a little while ago & have been experimenting with it in my fish room on my big grow out tanks. It worked like a charm & I realised using this system with the project would be ideal.
    Well long story short, my bussines plan is in with the local govt for a grant to start the project & so far they have allocated land for me. We are just waiting for the final red tape to be cleared.

Welcome aboard! I'll be looking forward to seeing your project. Got any pictures you can post of what you've done so far? Post in the appropriate area of the forum so it gets the attention it deserves.