Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction:

Re: Introduction:

Temperature tolerance is a relative term. Blue Tilapia O. aurea are the most cold tolerant, but they stop growing, just like most tilapia, when temps are below 70 and they tend to get sick. They can stand 40F for some days, but that is about it. If you can't keep water reliably near 80F, tilapia are probably not your best choice.

I only know of one supplier of them in small quantities.
    http://www.miami-aquaculture.com/tilapia.htm
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Hello everyone.
    I am Sheryl although my id is mommyhen42 I have had this for awhile so don't think I am 42 or think so....???
    Anyway yes, as it says I am a mommyhen... my son gave me that name when he was growing up, our house was the neighborhood house... you know how that goes.

Anyway to Jackalope I wanted to say that you should consider staying away from lava rock in your system... that was the first I tried and while it is wonderfully porus it WILL tear up your hands when you go to replant. It likes to interlock with it's neighboring pieces and is very difficult to shuffle around... Instead consider all purpose or pea gravel instead, or if you have to mix all purpose with the lava rock as it breaks up it's natural tendancy to lock together and does make working with it easier but it is still a royal pain in the you know what

Ok, that said, I think I introduced myself in another part of the board index, but here goes again.
    I am an "empty nester" as they say...LOL but I love not having the kids here, I am finally free to play with whatever projects interest me. Right now my current project is Aquaponics... I LOVE it! I am a MGyver in that I love to go look at things then go home and build it out of whatever I have laying around the house...

I have several systems going right now and have started a meetup group about aquaponics and other things green you can read about the group here http://www.meetup.com/sustainable-aquaponics/

I have a little 6x8 greenhouse that I set up to run Aquaponically from a 60 gal fishtank that is currently the home to some juvie koi that will eventually go into one of my decorative ponds I built in the foyer area of the house. I have several systems that I made in the greenhouse including a riverbed system that hold 100 plants I made from pvc downspout I also have 4 flood and drain tubs and a 5 bucket dutch bucket system in there all running from the 60 gal tank. There are also 3 10 gal rubbermaid totes with kitty litter pans on them for flood and drain, I use them to start seeds, there are a self cloning crayfish Procambrus sp. in each tub. I also built some of those hydrofarm style buckets and have 2 in there with asparagus in them. I use the water from the tank to fill those and drain them weekly and put the water back into the tank...
    I also have other systems in my aviary building, including a riverbed system that uses 2 2ft sqare trays that have water continuously pumped over them, these have various lettuces growing in them and have florescent lights over them. I am also playing with deep water culture using the fish in the water...

Lots of ideas to play with... but the Riverbeds seem so far to show the fastest growth in the plants.

gotta go for now but here is my quick intro
    Stay safe
    Sheryl
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Hey mommyhen, how 'bout some photos of those self cloning crayfish Procambrus sp. in the crayfish section for us to take a look see
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

hello, my name is michael and i will be lurking ,gradually acquiring the components that i need to begin the
    process of setting up my operation. checked my emails and finally found my log in info so thought i would
    make my self known. i can say that i have been reading the post here and truly appreciate the effort that i have seen here by the posters on this forum. grassroots are definitely needed. some of us need to have things
    spelled out to us. once again thanks for your efforts and i will be around.
    michael
    one life one love.

Members

Hi michael -> WELCOME

This board has something all the others does not, it is not dominated by pressure. Some places
    I was not comfortable posting feeling like I had nothing to offer. Not the case here though you
    will be happy you came

SHERYL I saw your website and you are active getting people to meet locally.
    We help people use the internet to get off the internet and form community.
    Meet ups make a difference in people's lives and can change the world.

Our local farmers market managers and people such as myself are getting groups started
    in town doing this and anyone is welcome. It is held at local ma/pa restaurant so everyone benefits.
    Anyway my hats off to you and the forward thinking you have.
    We try to keep politics out because it does no good..only adds negativity to the meeting.

Great pics too!!!
    ""we are what we eat""

Members

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    Hey mommyhen, how 'bout some photos of those self cloning crayfish Procambrus sp. in the crayfish section for us to take a look see
    I think I have a photo on my computer, I will have to check and get back with you
    Sheryl
    I bought them off a guy on ebay, there are several people there now selling them, but whenever mine get around to cloning, I will be happy to pass them along to responsible people for shipping + a little for my trouble... not at all what they are selling for, which I think is rediculous for an animal that is reported to average 100 young every 28 days or so.... Not for the faint of heart...LOL

ttyl
    Sheryl
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Well, it looks like I've been a bit deficient in welcoming others .... My apologies to wolfracer, mommyhen42, mpugh5 for my ignorance. I've kinda spaced out the introductions thread (and I was the one who started it . I'm looking forward to learning from all of you, as well as others here who are more advanced than myself. I've got my system up and running now with Goldies .... hopefully, by the early part of the summer I will have some Tilapia and crawdads for fish food, (along with redworms and Black Soldier Fly Larvae), so we'll see how that goes Best laid plans, and all that stuff .......... We've got 11 starts going now ... lettuce, and a few surprise packages (can't remember what I planted), and tomorrow, we'll be transplanting squash, cukes, herbs, watermelon, spinach, and more. Soon, this Saloon will be wall to wall with fresh veggies (I hope!). Once again, welcome wolfracer, glad to have you aboard ; mommyhen42 nice to have you here, please share your experiences and wisdom with us; and mpugh5 I'm glad you're here, ........ everyone here is here to learn, whether from an expert, or a novice .... if we give up on learning and understanding, what is there to life?
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

mommyhen42
    what size is your greenhouse? I am currently setting up a 10 X 12 with radiant heat in the flooring. By the way my wifes name is Cheryl.

Hello Micheal I also like the low pressure of this site.

Members

Hello wolfracer

Mine is considerably smaller than yours... 6x8 from harbor freight
    I have some plastic things that are like connect X that we had as kids... They are joined together with 2x2's and each set builds a 6x8 greenhouse... This spring I intend on building at least one of the 3 kits that I have... for just Tomatoes and peppers

I used to raise wolf hybrids so I love your username
    Not an animal for most people.... scary in the wrong homes... hate to see them advertized in the paper...

Now I have German Shepherds of german working lines.... great graceful animals

I am envious of your greenhouse!

take care
    Sheryl
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD