Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: All around questions (cycle times, sizing)

I don't believe the dry time is all that important, but I've not experimented. The key is that the roots get air and don't dry out. I've seen folks that only flood 4 times a day, so it isn't a big deal from the plant side. Fewer floods means a longer time for build up in the fish tanks, so try to keep total cycle time at under an hour.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

In reference to the ammonia build-up in the FT.. I've read that some people do a 50% change on their water every once in a while, is that because the water has built up to a point that the plants can't keep up?

I've also read that getting oxygen in your water helps break down the ammonia; would it help to run the aerator 24x7, or would that be overkill. And as a side to that question, is it ok to only run the aerator 15 minutes on and 45 minutes off, or does the change in noise hurt the fish at all?

Quote Originally Posted by dwaller
    In reference to the ammonia build-up in the FT.. I've read that some people do a 50% change on their water every once in a while, is that because the water has built up to a point that the plants can't keep up?

I've also read that getting oxygen in your water helps break down the ammonia; would it help to run the aerator 24x7, or would that be overkill. And as a side to that question, is it ok to only run the aerator 15 minutes on and 45 minutes off, or does the change in noise hurt the fish at all?
    I do a 50% water change once a week because theammonia builds up so fast in one of my tanks, and I have a terrible problem with filamentous algae (probably from the Spring water I use). Also, I run several aeration devices (air stones, power filters, etc., and it doesn't seem to slow down the production of the ammonia at all. In the tank that I have the most fish in, I have a home-built bio-filter, which is working great!, so I only add water (about 5 gallons per week) to replace water loss due to evaporation.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

I checked my system yesterday. Mainly cos I haven't tested in a couple of months.
    Am 0 Ni 0 Na 10

How big are you gb's. Am at zero is the norm for most AP systems. I have to dose mine to get a reading and it does not last long.

Members

I hear all these great ideas on designs - but I need to know is how do I keep my fish warm. I live in Missouri and it doesn't get warm weather till May. I wanted to put my Tiliapia out in the tanks outside by May 1st but it's still cold at night. Anyone have any ideas on a heater???? My tank is 8' in diameter and 3' deep

Quote Originally Posted by Breed
    I hear all these great ideas on designs - but I need to know is how do I keep my fish warm. I live in Missouri and it doesn't get warm weather till May. I wanted to put my Tiliapia out in the tanks outside by May 1st but it's still cold at night. Anyone have any ideas on a heater???? My tank is 8' in diameter and 3' deep
    Perhaps the stock Tank heater that badflash has recommended in several threads (see this thread) Clik Is that an 8' round tank? How many gallons do you reckon it is?
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

I would start with a greenhouse to hold the heat in. that way you are not loosing water to evaporation and throwing money away trying to keep that much water warm outside.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

Some people use black pipe to heat up 200ltr drums of water inside the greenhouse. The heat helps of a night. While looking at biochar and the temps that it gets to I wondered how much water it could heat while making biochar. Then again I have a wood fire inside and could probably hook up a heat exchange to it. Some even come with the piping to heat a houses hot water.

Members

New question. Are any of you growing your on fish food. I have heard water lettuce, and duck weed are good feeds for talipa. If so, does it grow well in AP and does it provide sufficient nutrients.

My tilapia hate water lettuce. They eat the duck weed just fine. I've seen reports that it had too much water to be a meaningful food unless dried and pelleted.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow