Quote Originally Posted by badflash
3 teaspoons of WATER is one ounce. EP salt is about 2.3 times as dense as water, so you'll need about 1/3 of what you figure. Grams is mass, teaspoons are volume.

grams of stuff / (grams/volume) = volume of stuff. grams per volume is density.
I got the 4 teaspoons/ounce from a recipe site I was going by the ounces, not the teaspoons .... that's why I used it. BTW, I always thought that ounces were a measurement of weight, but I've been wrong before ..... just ask my wife! Also I looked into the epsom salts .... it's magnesium sulfate .... I didn't do the water change, and the larger one seems to be doing better, so I'm leaving it for now, other than adding 4 gallons of water to make up for evaporation losses, the smaller fish still isn't improving ..... I'm with Dave, I didn't think that I would have to mess with math so much when I took on fish-raising .... 35 years ago when I had 22 tanks of tropical fish (including 'African Mouthbrooders - Mozambique' - cichlids/tilapia) that I was able to buy from the pet stores in Salt Lake City, it was a teaspoon of this, a 1/4 teaspoon of that, but now it's all Europeanized and I can't get the metrics to work out right.

Magnesium Sulfate Density:
1.67 g/ml @ 4C
Water density:
0.999973 g/ml @4C

1.67 / .999973 = 1.670045

So if I'm only 1/3 too much, I don't see a problem ..... either they live or die, I'm done with the math, I don't care to find a measureig spoon that will measure 1/3 of 1/3 of a teaspoon