Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Sick Mossie Tilapia

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    3 teaspoons of WATER is one ounce. EP salt is about 2.3 times as dense as water, so you'll need about 1/3 of what you figure. Grams is mass, teaspoons are volume.

grams of stuff / (grams/volume) = volume of stuff. grams per volume is density.
    I got the 4 teaspoons/ounce from a recipe site I was going by the ounces, not the teaspoons .... that's why I used it. BTW, I always thought that ounces were a measurement of weight, but I've been wrong before ..... just ask my wife! Also I looked into the epsom salts .... it's magnesium sulfate .... I didn't do the water change, and the larger one seems to be doing better, so I'm leaving it for now, other than adding 4 gallons of water to make up for evaporation losses, the smaller fish still isn't improving ..... I'm with Dave, I didn't think that I would have to mess with math so much when I took on fish-raising .... 35 years ago when I had 22 tanks of tropical fish (including 'African Mouthbrooders - Mozambique' - cichlids/tilapia) that I was able to buy from the pet stores in Salt Lake City, it was a teaspoon of this, a 1/4 teaspoon of that, but now it's all Europeanized and I can't get the metrics to work out right.

Magnesium Sulfate Density:
    1.67 g/ml @ 4C
    Water density:
    0.999973 g/ml @4C

1.67 / .999973 = 1.670045

So if I'm only 1/3 too much, I don't see a problem ..... either they live or die, I'm done with the math, I don't care to find a measureig spoon that will measure 1/3 of 1/3 of a teaspoon
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Yes, ounces are a measurement of weight. But here is how it works with fluid oz of water, not to be confused with REAL oz. just to be confusing. There are 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon, and 16 tablespoons to a cup. That means we are BOTH wrong as there are 8 fluid oz to a cup. A fluid oz is actually a measurement of volume. A DRY oz is a measurement of weight.

I'll work on a unit conversion section for the FAQs page.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Yes, ounces are a measurement of weight. But here is how it works with fluid oz of water, not to be confused with REAL oz. just to be confusing. There are 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon, and 16 tablespoons to a cup. That means we are BOTH wrong as there are 8 fluid oz to a cup. A fluid oz is actually a measurement of volume. A DRY oz is a measurement of weight.

I'll work on a unit conversion section for the FAQs page.
    This is where I went to get all the conversions Clik .... and my calculator did the math for me

Members

just wondering... how was your plant when u put some salts on the water...

Quote Originally Posted by immanuel7069
    just wondering... how was your plant when u put some salts on the water...
    Hi immanuel7069, you have to understand, that that thread was going on during the dead of winter -- a lot of the time the weather outside was 30F and 40F below zero ...... I wasn't growing anything at the time, just trying to keep the fish alive .... I went thru 4 or 5 aquarium heaters that winter!

Members

ahh i see thanks for the info...

and guys what media you use again for the system. i read somewhere that STG "sure to grow media" that white sheet thing is good that the balls... is it true... but i read somewhere in the forum(i think in this forum) that if you use STG some parts of it falls off and your tilapia eats them... and i think that material is plastic fiber...