We do not currently have any chickens - though momma has that in the works.. she is insistent that we get them soon- our goal to be as self sufficient as possible. The boys got rabbits for christmas- they will be our breeding stock- 2m Flemish giants,2f new zealand- for a cross meat rabbit- the first kits should be here around august of this year. they have been eating all the garden leftovers- which has been great- I bought a bag of feed - but they took to the garden veggies like champs -so they get that and ample hay and seem to be loving life. and what great manure... When we finally do get our chickens - i know momma will have a use for every one of those eggs!!!
As far as a binder- my sons and I have gluten allergies and momma is used to cooking with weird combinations of flours to obtain satisfactory bread products- her choice for a binder is flax meal- which many vegetarians use as a great omega source- she has on occasion used chia (as in the toy Chia pet) as well which has a great nutrient profile.