Thread: what are these?

Members

what are these?

I collected some duckweed and found these little critters in the water.
    Right now the duckweed is in a separate container but should i be worried about infesting my Fish tank once i use it to feed my fish?
    [video:gvm86ri6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDbaDrgwjY[/video:gvm86ri6]

thanks

Re: what are these?

I think those are Baby mosquitoes. the Florida state bird.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Those are mosquito lava and your fish will love them. They are a great live food for young fish, however be careful when collecting live plants or anything else for that matter from out of the waters of the wild.

Another thing that likes to hide in the roots of small floating plants and on wild Ghost Shrimp is baby leeches. They will appear as a tiny black spot on the shrimp or your fish today and then tomorrow or the next day the spot is gone and you might see them swimming around like a snake or eel in the water. They are very hard to see when they are young because they are very small like a piece of black sewing thread.

Always wash any wild plants thoroughly and inspect them with a fine tooth comb (so's to speak...not like combing the desert in Space Balls, the movie) and keep them segregated in an aquarium by themselves for a week or so and check the water often for strange swimming critters. Nature is great as long as it remains outside.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

thanks

yeah def. mosquitoes i will monitor the water for other animals.

I always wash any plants (whether I buy them or not) in chlorinated water to kill any critters (if chlorine will kill fish, it should kill the critters ) ......I don't leave it in there for too long, a few hours at the most, then I rinse well a few times in clean non-chlorinated water to get rid of the critters and the chlorine ..... then I will put it into the tank ...... after I'm pretty sure that the critters are dead and gone down the drain ....... just my 2 centavos
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy