Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Heaters

Re: Heaters

RickS-
    I think you mean watts, not KW. 3000 KW would boil 900 gallons in no time. 2 Kw is what I used in my 900 gallon basement system. Heat needs depend a lot on ambient temperature and how well insultated & covered your tanks are.

If you have access to lots of cheap wood, a snorkel stove can make sense. At 10 cents a KW hour and 2 KW heater will cost you about $5 a day or $150 a month. A winter will repay you handsomely assuming you can control the beast. I personally would use it to heat another tank used to supply hot water as needed to keep other tanks warm, rather than put it directly in the fish tank.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Yes you are right. 3kw is what I meant. I was thinking of a recommendation of using multiple heaters, like (6) 500 watt heaters instead of one 3kw. The reasoning was if one went out the others would keep operating until the faulty unit was replaced. But thanks for the response. My tank is going to be in my greenhouse. So I figured the snorkel stove would also increase the ambient temp. because the top of the stove and the chimney will give off heat as well. Also my intention is to fire the wood stove to decrease the electric consumption not to completely replace it. Unless of course I lose power, (couple times at least every year.) Last year the outage lasted a week. Then I figured I would need a generator to charge and maintain a twelve volt back up system for aeration and at least partial pump system. Still working out all the possible scenarios to prevent total losses. Thanks again, I appreciate your input.

A back up generator is a must, and you need to run it once a month to keep the carb clear. Keep the gas fresh too as it gets growies now that it is lead free.

I use 1 KW stock tank heaters controlled by an electronic thermostat.

Members

What type of stock tank heater do you use? The only ones I have found have a thermostat that operates between 35 and 55 degrees. how do you get yours above 55 degrees?
    Lord, grant me the ability to change the things I can,
    The tenacity to change the things I can’t,
    And the ignorance not to know the difference...

Members

Thanks. I just purchased two. Looks they will do what I want and what a great price.
    Lord, grant me the ability to change the things I can,
    The tenacity to change the things I can’t,
    And the ignorance not to know the difference...

Members

Has anyone considered a homemade air-to-air heat exchanger to modulate humidity in the winter time?

http://www.ehow.com/way_5782458_diy-hom ... anger.html

This sounds like a fairly simple project and the cost of building and operating should be less than a dehumidifier.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O’Rourke

Members

I have installed a couple of air exchangers in fish hatcheries. You have to remember that the air in the room has to be constantly conditioned for heat and cool, this drives the utility cost up. A dehumidifier operating should be less of a cost impact. This of course is determined by your weather and humidity.

SHCS...How It's Done..!
    is a much better choice.

Members

Hi all
    Call me silly but has anyone looked at the principles of geyser heater pumps? Basically it's a reverse refrigiration/ac unit that warms the water. Have you felt the back of your refrigerator ? I think this could work for small setups coiling tubing around the condensor/evaprator (not sure what it's called ) & circulating water through it. Thats an apliance we have running in most of our homes 24/7.
    Another Idea I was planning to use for my project (large scale) was to have a compost heap between the 2 tunnels with pvc pipes running through it. the compost would be fed by veggie waste etc. those things get damn hot inside
    Anyway just some ideas I am/have considdered

G