Thread: Heaters

Hybrid View

Heaters

This thread is for those who want to get an idea of what size heaters they need for their system. For instance:

I'm building a 475 gallon indoor pond for growing out my tilapia ...... will a 1000 watt heater be enough to heat that large of a tank, or will I need a larger heater? I'm looking at the heater that badflash has recommended in other posts from Jeffers Equine Suppy Clik ...... I'm wondering if I'll need more than one ! My problem with this is that is says it will keep a 5 gallon bucket at 110F ..... this tank will be a little bit larger I believe badflash uses these in his 100 gallon stock tanks, so I'm pretty sure that it will be OK in that small a unit, but how about almost 500 gallons?

For the winter, I had to put all my fish into two 30 gallon glass tanks, and I'm having a hard time keeping my 30 gallon tanks up to 70 with 2 - 300 watt aquarium heaters per tank turned up to the maximum temps, this is what worries me about the 1000 watt heater, will it be enough?

Any ideas?

THX? TIA jackalope
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Waterbed heaters are designed to lay flat under the bed. The ones I had way back did not attach in any way, so you would need to find a way to attach it. There might be simpler solutions then going with a waterbed heater.4

Jason

Members
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Waterbed heaters are designed to lay flat under the bed. The ones I had way back did not attach in any way, so you would need to find a way to attach it. There might be simpler solutions then going with a waterbed heater.4

Jason

I was honestly thinking duct tape or hot glue on the outside of the tank. I found one at a cheap price on EBay, so once I get it, and test it, I can post results.
    Whether you think you CAN or you CAN'T... You're right.
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA

he guys in my locationthat aredropping 10k at a time on the hydroponics stores are all raising pot. i recogniseof no different crop in CA with a purpose to pay for the heating, lighting fixtures, pumps, RO, dehumidifiers, chemical compounds, fish meals, and many others. (no i do notboost pot) definitely $threein line with pound talapia and multiple heads of lettuce does not.