Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Evan's Indoor Nano-System

[quote="evanj".

What do other people like to start their seedlings in?[/quote]
    home depot. Most stuff I sprinkle straight in the hydroton.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

home depot?
    - Evan

Sorry if you didn’t get my joke , but the home depot is a large hardware/ home store that has a garden center where they sell bonnie brand seedlings. I just buy these and rinse the dirt off the roots and plant. I have also used a “kitchen crop” sprouter used for bean sprouts to make sandwiches and whatnot. This works great except the sprouts get a bit bunched up and pulling them apart without breaking them and putting them in the hydroton is not easy. Sprinkling the seeds directly into the grow bed is easy. The problem with this one is that it is hard to get the seeds spread out evenly and it’s easy to add too many. Good luck dude.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Hi Evan, One advantage to buying plants started, like Stucco does......Is you can try differant varietys. Then you get to see first hand, which ones do better and taste better.

Instaed of buying, say, 6 differant packs of tomatoe seeds......just buy 6 differant plants already started.
    Of course, this applys if you only want a 'few' plants. I dislike using 1 or 2 seeds out of a pack, then trying to store the rest.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    Sorry if you didn’t get my joke , but the home depot is a large hardware/ home store that has a garden center where they sell bonnie brand seedlings. I just buy these and rinse the dirt off the roots and plant. I have also used a “kitchen crop” sprouter used for bean sprouts to make sandwiches and whatnot. This works great except the sprouts get a bit bunched up and pulling them apart without breaking them and putting them in the hydroton is not easy. Sprinkling the seeds directly into the grow bed is easy. The problem with this one is that it is hard to get the seeds spread out evenly and it’s easy to add too many. Good luck dude.
    No problem, I was just wondering what you were referring to - I have purchased a fair amount of my supplies from Home Depot.

The seedlings sounds like an easy way to get started.
    - Evan

Members

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Hi Evan, One advantage to buying plants started, like Stucco does......Is you can try differant varietys. Then you get to see first hand, which ones do better and taste better.

Instaed of buying, say, 6 differant packs of tomatoe seeds......just buy 6 differant plants already started.
    Of course, this applys if you only want a 'few' plants. I dislike using 1 or 2 seeds out of a pack, then trying to store the rest.
    I'm with you on that one.. I have some seeds left over from my garden this last summer, I hope they still germinate.

I don't know if there's any local stores that sell seedlings year round. I'll have to look into that.

Also, aren't the seedlings in soil? How well do soil plants transfer to hydroponics? Is there any special steps, or do you just drop in as is?
    - Evan

The smaller plants transplant better (6 and 9 pack sizes). Use water from your system in a bucket and carefully dip the roots until all dirt is gone. One special step is to flood the bed when putting the seedling in, it’s easier to adjust the depth of the plant and safer for the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by evanj
    I don't know if there's any local stores that sell seedlings year round. I'll have to look into that.
    Hi Evan....I read your statement ...then I looked over to see where you were located.
    Thanks for the chuckle... ....Stucco and I live in central FL. We are spoiled as HD always has plants in the outdoor garden center.
    Well, except maybe for this week... It's actually 'sleeting' here this morning...

I have stored my seeds, where they stay cool.....and have had them come up a year or so later. Of course the germenation rate drops with time. My problem is 'with time', I forget I have them and buy more...lol...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I have managed to start a few bean and califlower plants from seeds in my growbeds in the last month, but they are growing very slowly. probably the short days and the freezing temps outside. -5 last night.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by wolfracer
    I have managed to start a few bean and califlower plants from seeds in my growbeds in the last month, but they are growing very slowly. probably the short days and the freezing temps outside. -5 last night.
    Yeah, we have had some -20° F days recently. It's been around 3° or 5° F during the days though.

I think I will do rockwool and try to start whatever seeds I can find leftover. I don't know if buying seedlings would be smart for my indoor garden with pests and all. I hope I don't run into problems with pests anyways..

I found four minnows stuck to my pump this morning I'm going to put the pump in a clay pot.
    - Evan