Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

Evan's Indoor Nano-System

I started this project a few weeks ago and have been making slow, but steady progress.

Here's where I'm at:

It's two layers of 45 gallon sterilite containers for the fish tank and two halved 30 gallon containers for the grow beds.

The pump is a mini jet 606 and the beds drain through bell siphons. There's a large air stone in the tank for aeration. System is a bit loud, however it's in a spare bedroom, so it's all good.

Next step is to get some hydroton in the beds, then put gravel and clay pots in the fish tank and let it cycle some more...
    - Evan

Re: Evan's Indoor Nano-System

Looks cool! What will be your light source?
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Nice start! Thanks for the pics

Members

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    Looks cool! What will be your light source?
    There will be a waterproof LED strip light in the container for the fish.

Then hanging from the PVC, a few florescent grow light fixtures that I found at wallyworld for $10 each for the plants. I also have the system near a south facing window which should help a little with light.

Any input on the lighting? Not too sure what I want to grow yet but I've read if I do tomatoes, I may need HPS lights.
    - Evan

Members

Quote Originally Posted by wolfracer
    Nice start! Thanks for the pics
    No problem, I really like to look back at my progress on projects like this and see photos of what I did for comparison. This will be especially useful when the fish and plants find their way into the system

For livestock:
    I have a hatchery that is relatively close to me that sells bluegill and hybrids.. I'm not sure, but I think I would also like to do clams if possible and snails too.

I don't plan to stock the fish too densely, in fact I may only purchase 10 fingerlings if the hatchery lets me.

In some of the readings I've done people recommend a 2:1 ratio on the grow beds, I'm sure that depends on a lot of factors i.e. fish type and stocking densities. If my nitrates do start to rise too much I might add a satellite bucket system where I want to try and grow some sort of dwarf fruit tree - haven't been able to find too much info on this yet, but it sounds fun.
    - Evan

Hi Evan....your off to a great start...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Looking good Evan ..... thanks for the pics!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Tank is running well, no leaks and everything seems to be in order.

I will be getting some crappie minnows from the bait shop tomorrow. They will only be in there for a few days as I plan on going ice fishing soon. The waste created in that few days should jump start the cycle of my system though.

Quick question: I just recently started a vermicomposting bin and was wondering if the red wriggler worms that are typically used for composting, would make a good feed for my fish? I will be stocking either perch or bluegill depending on what I can get from the hatchery.

If I can feed these worms to the fish regularly, would it mostly be supplemental or could I use this as a main food? I was origionally thinking of using this as the main food: http://www.tractorsupply.com/livesto...d-diet-5060063
    - Evan

Members

Got some crappie minnows today from the bait shop:

I will probably remove at least half of these from my fish tank to use ice fishing and will then leave the rest to complete the cycle.

I talked to a guy from ebay today that sells yellow perch fingerlings and I think that's the route I'm going to go. He said that the red wriggler worms I'm using in my vermicomposting would make great feed for the fish. Once the perch are added, they'll find some tasty little minnows to snack on too.

I give the worms my scrap food and paper - I give the fish worms - the fish gives the plants food - and I get to eat fish and fresh veggies with little to no cost/effort hopefully it all goes as smoothly as planned.
    - Evan

Members

Well, I've lost a few minnows, but there's still a lot left...

I was looking through all of my aquarium stuff and found an old florescent light aquarium fixture. I was unsure if the spectrum would be right for plants. After researching the bulb that was in there, I found that it's meant for plants and aquariums like many of them are.

Now I just need to get some hydroton in the grow tubs this weekend. I also plan on getting some rockwool cubes to start the seedlings in.

What do other people like to start their seedlings in?
    - Evan