Goldilocks problem with pump size for 30gal system

Hey folks,

I've got a small/hobbyist 30gallon system that I want to use a sump for returning water back to the tank. Since I don't care about flow, I started with a cheap Amazon pump advertising 80GPH and thought I could use 1/4" drip irrigation tubing to push the water 5 feet up to the top of the tank. That was a fail - it only made it a couple of feet off the ground.

Then, I tried with a beefier 300GPH pump, but that didn't get much higher. Finally, I tried a 1083GPH pump, which could make the full journey, but the pump is too loud for my home office to be running 24/7.

I'm surprised these pumps aren't getting more lift. I made sure my connections aren't leaking (which could kill the pressure), but I'm not sure if there's something else I'm doing wrong or if these pumps are just waaaaaay overrated.

Any tips for things to try to get better lift? Style of pump maybe? Specific brand of pump? Having to use a 70w pump for so little water seems excessive.

Welcome to the community.

When looking for a pump, you want to GPM at the pump head height. The higher the pump has to pump, the harder the pump as to work to achieve the GPM. You will also need to take into account any 90 degree turns or restrictions. Before buying a pump, have a look through the manual and it should list the flow at different heights. That is the best way to get the flow you want.

Jason

Just wanted to add, I have a look at the first pump you linked to which states that it Max Flow Rate: 80 GPH (300L/H) Recommended H-Max (Lift height): 1 foot. My guess would be that it would pump 1.3 GPM straight out and less at one foot. At five feet, it would be a trickle. That said, it also states that the outlet: Fits 5/16, 1/2 inch ID (inside diameter) tubing, and you stated you used 1/4 inch tubing which would further restrict the flow.

Jason