Members

55 Gal indoor AP, ALL MY GOLDFISH ARE DYING

I've had my system up for about 6 months now. Lots of big Bok Choy, Rapini grew in fine. Shishito Pepper plants sprouted a few leaves then just stopped and i got a big head of swiss chard. Plants seem to be growing alright until about a month ago. About 2 months into the system fish started dropping one by one. Never more than one at a time. I use RO water and add a small amount of water conditioner. I did add some iron chelate that is branded for aquaponics and says safe for fish. My ph is a bit high once estableshed in the system, around high 7s low 8, but when measured before adding to tank it is closer to 7. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites measure all around 0. I'm now down to just 2 snails in the tank and no fish. I was for a short amount of time adding some aquarium salt to water adds which i realized was a problem because it was all for evaporated water additions so i was salting too much. I took out 75% of the water and replaced with ro water, and a week later got a few more fish which lasted about 2 weeks. One of the snails is from the original stock and has been in there for 6 months and growing and running around the tank plenty. Any ideas why all my fish are dying?

Welcome to the community. I have read your post a couple times, and the only think I can come up with is lack of oxygen in the water, but I assume you would have pumps to provide that. Have you had any more issues since you posted? Are the fish still dying?

Jason

Members
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Welcome to the community. I have read your post a couple times, and the only think I can come up with is lack of oxygen in the water, but I assume you would have pumps to provide that. Have you had any more issues since you posted? Are the fish still dying?

Jason
    There is a ton of oxygen being pumped into the fish tank and grow bed and water pouring into tank splashing.
    still dying, no fish alive. snails are doing fine. I'm going to clean the whole system and start fresh. I have done a quick cycle and a no additive month long cycle. Both times had problem with fish dying after a certain amount of time...I had quite a few mature plants in the grow bed with lots of root systems and a media bed for filtering. is it possible that I need additional filtering or the fish are just producing too much waste? I never had more than 5 small to. medium goldfish in a 55 gallon tank so I don't think that's the case. Any other ideas?

Sorry if that was a bit dense and scattered, I just can't pinpoint an issue.