Re: To GFCI or to not GFCI

I try to keep all of my electrical connections (plug-ins) above the top of the tank .... you may think that's ugly, but it will keep the water out! Also, I use power bars from the plug-in the tank - to provide power to each tank (if I can) .... they have a built-in circuit breaker in case they do get wet!

On the subject of GFCI's, I agree with the electrician, I've got a GFCI in the bathroom where I'm setting a tile floor, the circuit works fine for cutting/drilling, until I turn off the saw/drill, then I can hear the GFCI breaker (in the breaker box) pop, so I have to get up off my tired old knees and walk into the next room and flip the breaker .... I'm planning to change out the breaker and replace it with a regular breaker, but first I'll talk to an electrician friend of mine and see if that violates code here! (Isn't it nice to have electrician friends? )
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

I used an exterior cover from home depot. I was able to put all the connections outside except for one cord with a three way which hangs down from the ceiling above the tanks.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Just read an 'electrician' -type comment on a story elsewhere ....
    Electricity above? the waist, Water below the waist. Most basic of rules.
    ..... that about says it all
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

well the gfci is code now when used in home anywhere above a counter, old code was within 6 ' of the kitchen sink. one gfci receptacle per bathroom and they can all be on one circuit. the purpose is to recognize load imbalance to the ground, here's the kicker, most or much of the equipment being used doesn't have a three prong plug on them. lot's are just two prong plugs so you wouldn't actually have gfci protection unless your using a three prong plug. so i would do as already stated wire from above and install drops to supply your equipment.
    a month and a half ago i lost everything in my basement freezer. i needed a short cord so i grabbed one out of my tool box(84' vw rabbit) plugged it in and went about my business. gfci protected cord. i lost fish,caribou,prepackaged sea food, bags of large shrimp, and all the tomato sauces i had put up from the garden. the gfci can be a #%#%$# if not monitered.
    one life one love.