Hybrid View

Members

Question Clear PVC, Acrylic, or Plexiglass?

Question: Does anyone have a supplier for clear acrylic or other water-safe plastic that fits schedule40 PVC?

Long Question:
    Last week left me with about 6 feet of clear acrylic pipe added to my setup. I was looking forever for this, but didn't want to pay upwards of $300 for it! Yikes! I finally found a place that made sizes fitting 2-inch schedule40 PVC, and set it up the other day. Does anyone here have a supplier that could get a better price than $100? I paid $115 for 6 feet... but the visual appeal (and not splashing my plants) is worth it I think.

Since this isn't a common thing, Laird plastics is the company. Spoke with a guy named Leon.

Not sure what you plan on doing with it, but if it is for Aquaponics, it won't be clear for long.
    To measure is to know

Members
    I have set one 2.5 foot section as the down spout from my lower fish IBC to my plant bed IBC. The other 2.5 foot section, plus remainder is at the end of my pump, back into my upper fish IBC. Both are is mostly full sun. I'm on day two or three, and no alge yet, still very clear on the sides. The walls are 1/8th inch thick, and perhaps too thick for enough UV to pass and help the alge. But I've also noticed brown alge build up in the normal PVC so... Ill keep you updated!

Members
    Just an update here with the clear pipes. Yup. Green alge on my downspout into the plant bed, and brown alge on my upspout from the pump.

There is some UV resistant coatings that I can get this plastic in... But I'm not altogether sure blocking only UV will prevent alge growth.

It seems the alge building is not the thick 'pond alge', or hair alge. So hoping there will be some benefit. The growth is currently swirling in the water, making a very intricate pretty patterns.

Paint all your tubes and pipes black for two reasons. Black absorbs heat from the sun and helps keep the water temperature up and black prevents growth of algae inside the plumbing.

Members
    Welp, looks like clear pipes grow algae, but after the initial scrape off seems to grow more slowly.

I have two solutions.

One is rather obvious, its a pipe cleaner -- a wide one. The vertical placement of the clear pipes allow me to have open ends on the tops. Stick the pipe cleaner in there once every three weeks or so and they stay visually nice.

The second method is for my downward flow. I filled the bottom four or five inches of the down pipe with marbles. This creates enough back pressure to 'tumble' the water around and seems to greatly reduce the algae growth. Air bubbles often get caught in the currents, an in my possibly overactive imagination helps to oxygenate/aerate the water.

I think my clear pipe adventure is complete now, having understood why, why not, and what is involved if you still want to.

Thanks for your replies.