So where is everybody?

I've been checking in a couple of times a day, and no new posts .... did everyone go to Europe for the winter?
    Naw, I know you are all busy, I just thought I'd post something ..... My Cascade filter went TU, so I tore it apart and the algae had clogged it so bad the pump wouldn't even spin ..... I cleaned it up and now it pumps again ...... I've got plenty of filter floss, but I ran out of carbon, so now I've got to do without until the first of the month to go down to Billings to get some more. I've looked online, but haven't been too successful at finding activated carbon (charcoal) for aquariums in bulk quantities. The best price I've found so far is Wally World, which isn't a great price AFAIAC! Anyone have any ideas where I can get it wholesale?

I built a sump out of an old 10 gallon aquarium - (sand doesn't make a good filter media in a passive system - personal experience), but the siphon tub was too large for the pump, and it kept overflowing .... today or tomorrow, I'll try a smaller diameter siphon tube and see if I can get it to work ;0. I may have to go to a larger pump to balance it out. Anyone have any info on sizing the siphon tube to the pump? I've seen a chart, but that didn't work for me .... according to the chart, my pump should have pumped the aquarium dry with the size of siphon I had, but it was just the opposite, the siphon out-powered the pump

I may have to go to another plan
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Re: So where is everybody?

Hi Jackalope, Sorry, no ideas on wholesale carbon....the 1 st link I've provided seems to be a realistic amount and price. It's here in central FL....dont know the shipping to Montanna....sorry. You may have already checked here.
    36oz/$12.95.... 68oz/20.95 plus postage

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... 20carbon/0

If you really want ALOT.......55 pds...lol
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... 20carbon/0

Jackalope, I know your talking about 'overflow' on a sump, I may have a similar problem when adding a small bio-filter to my 55 gal beeder tank....(in my living room)
    On the tube, going to the sump, could you add a pvc ball valve to control the flow ( maybe ?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Hey jackalope, earlier this week my grandfather made the journey, so we were out of town for a couple of days. I kept checking the forum on the hotels crappy wi fi, and I was thinking the same thing…..where is everybody? From your description of the siphon problem it sounds like you need this http://www.aquariumguys.com/eshopps-dua ... w-box.html , but it may be out of budget. David’s ball valve idea sounds like a winner, but getting it adjusted just right may give you something to do until spring.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

There are actually some folks that live normal lives. Weird, I know, but it happens. I've noticed a pattern around holidays and summers where the posts drop way down. I can't understand this unless they don't have their PC surgically implanted like GOOD PEOPLE... blub blub..
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    Hey jackalope, earlier this week my grandfather made the journey, so we were out of town for a couple of days.
    Please extend our deepest sympathies to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    I kept checking the forum on the hotels crappy wi fi, and I was thinking the same thing…..where is everybody? From your description of the siphon problem it sounds like you need this http://www.aquariumguys.com/eshopps-dua ... w-box.html , but it may be out of budget. David’s ball valve idea sounds like a winner, but getting it adjusted just right may give you something to do until spring.
    Yeah the budget won't stand for that ...... I had forgotten about the ball valve in the middle of the siphon ..... thanks guys for the reminder ..... back to the drawing board .........

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    There are actually some folks that live normal lives. Weird, I know, but it happens. I've noticed a pattern around holidays and summers where the posts drop way down. I can't understand this unless they don't have their PC surgically implanted like GOOD PEOPLE... blub blub..
    Some of us have normal lives that wrap around all of our problems, no matter what time of year .... my problems never seem to go away, so I'm almost always here, or on another forum.

stucco, sorry to hear of your loss, as to where i'm at ........i'm still lurking and putting the pieces together, saving a little money and hopefully i can break ground in the spring. getting all my little duckies lined up and learning a bunch from you good people
    one life one love.