Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bsf harvester

bsf harvester

We’ve been working on a new soldier fly harvester with styro lid, pvc pipe cut to fit and a big black pot….. ill post more as I go.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Re: bsf harvester

Wow, nice !

I 'was' going to give you the big pot back, that had the cool bamboo in it....but now ,I don't know
    So was this your wifes' design or yours ? You two told me, that you had differant ideas on how to build one.... :P ????

Off the topic....I have to ask...hanging on the wall in the background...looks like a wheel, 'maybe' to a RC airplane ?????
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Hey Dave, cat and I almost met in the middle on the design. I used her idea on the pot and everything else is mine. I wasn’t expecting that pot back I have several. They make good filter boxes and whatnot . The wheels in the background are the dog sled (skateboard). The hound pulls me around the block on it.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

..... a FL dog sled
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I made enough progress on the b.s.f bin to put it into service. I still have to finish the lid, but the thing works great….. we’ve already harvested quite a few of the little buggers.

Stucco, the hole where the larva 'exit' the bin.....is this also where the adult females fly 'in' to lay eggs ?......Are there other openings, that I don't see in the pictures ?

Thanks....looks like a nice design.....

There are ¾” holes around the top edge. Four of them are visible in picture #1070863. When you see it in Person you’ll understand it better. Then with your skill level you will be able to make one in no time. How are yours doing?

Well......A month or so back, we had a couple bad rain storms blow through. My lid blew off and I found the pot full of water. I got it drained as best I could. I thought I saw some activity after that.

Now with the "GREAT FL WINTER FREEZE"....I don't know if they made it or not ?

Hey, have you guys had much luck feeding the BSF larvae to Tilapia?

My tilapia did not like them. Not with a fox not in a box…