Hybrid View

Members

Aquaponics beginner here!

Hello! I'm new to the AP community and I'm eager to learn from yall! We are in Florida and just built our system. We went with an IBC container with the standard "chop and flip" of the top for the grow bed. We are using that grow bed as our flood and drain portion of the system. That drains into a PVC planter, which empties back into our grow bed. We are having an issue with our bell siphon... once it floods and drains it doesn't shut back off and the water stays at a constant level. What have we done wrong? Here are a few pics to help. The third shows my whole system. The second shows the drain coming out of the grow bed, which connects to the pvc planter. The first shows my bell siphon drain. Sorry for the sideways pics! I didn't load them that way and cant figure out how to flip them! Thanks for commenting and taking a look!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7977.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	5024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7978.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	5025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7979.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	5026  

Members
    Welcome!!!

For that bell, there are a couple of things you might try. I'd start simple. Make sure you have a large enough notch/cut-out on the bottom of your bell to be sure enough air gets in to break the siphon. apart from that, if you are feeling really industrious, you could try the 'better bell' which is I think and Affnan development...?

http://www.affnanaquaponics.com/2010...s-of_9459.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzKUzcdeaI8

And again, WELCOME!!!
    Whether you think you CAN or you CAN'T... You're right.
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA

Members
    Thanks! We got it somewhat working. We needed more water flow coming in, a taller stand pipe and we added the hose to the cap. When I say,"somewhat" I mean the grow bed fills, the suction drain starts but only drains half of the grow bed. It then refills and continues the process unassisted. I suppose this may be ok but I'd rather it flush the whole bed. Any ideas on how to tweak it?

Members
    Could be a number of things. I'd look into the in flow speed. Maybe it is just filling back up too quickly. What sort of drain area do you have on the media shield? How about at the bottom of the bell itself? Like I say, could be a number of things... I am forever tinkering with little things to get slightly better system... It never ends.
    Whether you think you CAN or you CAN'T... You're right.
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA