Shallow or deep?

Just a question about fish tank dimensions. What I see most people use is a reservoir that is typically wider than it is deep, or possibly equal. With limited square footage available, I am curious if a deep but narrow fish tank would give the fish an adequate environment. Any experience or thoughts?

actually itd be a better tnk --if you throw some airstones into the bottom of it ---the air bubbles get longer exposure to the water as they rise to the top ---and depending if its inside r outside --the fish can dive deep when theres a bird eyeing tem as dinner
    the only real downside to a dep tank I see is ---the water pressure goes up as the water gets deeper ---basically youd have to build a stronger sided tank if its deeper --than if its a shallow tank
    also you need a certain cubic footage of fishtank water as compared to grow beds cubic footage ---sooo sorry I cannot think of the math % -------but im sure you either know it or someone else will chime in on that ------but I know in my personaly grow bed design I plan on far exceeding that --in the case tht ALL growbeds re filled to the brim at the exact moment my fish aren't startled their water got LOW suddenly -----so im going much much deeper ---plus being in florida I want the water to soak up some cooling from being DUG DEEP

im lousy at computers & cant figure out how to find my 3d models ive built on a free 3d program I have on here ---but if ya wanna text me I can send them as a picture text to your cellphone 352 423 3666 is my ell if ya wanna have me send ya my 3d designs or just chat whatever ---ow id also suggest mentioning where ya live --state & grow zones info can help people answer questions easier & maybe ya find out someone here lives near ya even

by the way im not good at expressing my thoughts very well BUT ---- basically if your up north & need to HEAT your water in winter an above ground tank is maybe easier to heat up than an inground one for tilapia for example &&& if ya in the south an inground pool might be better to help lower the water temp in summer & warm it in winter slightly also ?? ----but of corase theres always means of changing water temps with electric & woodstoves and endless other ideas --BUT im a cheapskate so I wanna try doing it as cheaply as possible

ow I totally forgot to mention this idea ever b4 because I just found the darned place BUT ----- everyone here needs to try to find a LUMBERMILL near them that sells their unwanted cuts ---------- you can get 1by 6by 12ft of lumber for a DOLLAR that not pretty enuff to sell to stores --I just yesterday picked up TEN 1 x 6 x 8ft cypress boards that are very nice --a few flaws from the dollar pile ---if I was driving a pickup I could have grabbed 50 more just like them as well as a few 1 x 8s and literally 15 semi trucks of much much rougher looking side cuts that would make insanely awesome house siding with bark-on and allkinda neat stuff for FREE or A DOLLAR PER BOARD ----NOT PER FOOT --PER BOARD !!!!!---SO IF YA VISIT A FEW LOCAL SAWMILLS YOU CAN GET ENUFF LUMBER TO MAKE AWSOME AQUAPONICS SYSTEMS FOR UNDER A 100$ WORTHA LUMBER --might not be as sexy as lowes lumber but --personally id prefer a bark-on look that's more natural looking ---omg I wish I could show yall the pics of this roughcut cypress its flat sexy& will outlast me byy many mnay years

If you are building in the ground, I would suggest you check out my site "Pipe Siphon by Apollo". Ground temperature runs at a more consent temp stays closer to the average yearly temp. A lot less temperature swing over several days not in a few hours, I only run a 500 watt heater about 2 weeks a year. Stays above 57 degrees during the coldest days of winter and has never got too warm in the hottest days of summer.

I think deeper is better for temperature control & less surface area for water loss.

hey Apollo yeah I agree with ya on the deeper the better for temp swings ---also gets better oxygen conversions due to water depoths

I was wondering how the build was going? Did you get a chance to view "Pipe Siphon by Apollo", lots of info & pictures.

Off subject but, if you have tilapia you should plant a sweet potato plant. Probable one of the easiest, fastest growing plant every, my fish love them. I will cut about two 5 ft. pieces of the vine and throw them in the tank , 2 days later all the leaves are gone & I pull out the vine and do it all over again.

Up load us some pictures a your build, Good Luck