Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: CHEAP FISH TANKS

"Double UGH" on that eggplant, right next to theArtichokes
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Re: CHEAP FISH TANKS

I am having a hard time keeping track of all the topics I keep posting to...LOL
    Honestly I have never really done much on message boards but you have a topic I have developed a passion for... fishing and gardening combined... who would have thunk...LOL
    I totally love the concept, never really understood why I would want to grow the food I am going to eat in
    "chemicals" we didnt even like chemical fertalizers when we had the farm... we ran the manure spreader instead. Everyone had a garden (typically an acre or so) and when time to harvest came along you would load up your excess and drive to the farm down the road to see if they could use any... everyone did this and it was wonderful. We didnt grow corn for example because the neighbor grew field corn and brought some down the road, we always had awesome tomatoes so we became known for the tomatoes and so on... everyone had pleanty and a great variety to can, or blanch and freeze. Now this wasnt 100 years ago... but in the 70's in a quiet community in Oregon. Everyone knew everyone else... here... I only know 2 neighbors! But we are all on acre and a half parcels just outside of town... Go one block north of me and you are in regular neighborhoods...

I want to get the idea of aquaponics out there one person at a time and am working on getting a co-op together where we can help our neighbors and the neighborhood... hopefully building systems as we go... but I posted that on another part of the forum. I hope to apply for grant funding for a project to get fresh food and vegies to the local food banks and put systems into low income familys back yards with a portion going to the family, a portion to the food banks and homeless shelters and a portion to be sold in the local farmers market... to bring money to build the next system to go into a low income familys back yard... and so on.... Probally a pipe dream but I am willing to try!
    Tomarrow I will call a couple of local food banks and a homeless shelter to see if they can even accept such donations... first step in my plan...

Stay safe
    Sheryl
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD