I've searched the Internet for answers but cannot seem to find anything about maincrop potatoes being grown in soil-less environment. Do any of you have any experience or knowledge on the subject?
My idea is to grow potatoes in 3 stages in aeroponic/aquaponic systems (depending on viability):

1. Incubator for small plants ready to become cuttings
  2. Suspended aeroponic system for maximum yield of seed potatoes
  3. Suspended aeroponic system for growing the seed potatoes to mature potatoes.

Has anyone tried growing maincrop or mature potatoes in aeroponics system? Or in aquaponic?

I was thinking of a plastic net, much like the ones potatoes are sold in bulk, attached to the tank on several heights where you would place your cuttings, with side holes for the plant stem and leafs to grow upwards. The plastic net (if correctly chosen) should provide structure without covering the tubers too much, leaving them no air. Having no other media to take up the space for growth and having top to bottom watering with nutrients might work?

Here are some drawings of the concept: imgur.com/a/QfSzw
As you can see in drawing 1, I'm thinking of securing two levels of plastic net with space in between them a bit more than the diameter of a fully grown potato. Those are inside of a barrel or a tube.
The tube has holes on its south facing side where the potato cuttings would grow out and feed on sunlight as described in drawing 2.
Then in drawings 3, 4 and 5 are three separate methods of watering with nutrients
drawing 3: with a mist making machine
drawing 4: with sprinkler type system
drawing 5: with top shaworing system

As for the plastic net, I am thinking of something like this: sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1kKALGVXXXXc4XFXXq6xXFXXXO/221237254/…

Also, as the plants grow, they could potentially be pulled back inside the barrel (in the plastic net area where the potato growth would happen). If the leafy part requires some structure to climb on, I can build a wall from another type of plastic net: sure-green.com//media/product_pages/thumb388.jpg

That should provide them the area to grow and wrap around, if my logic is correct

Please share your thoughts!