A newbie here---got a few questions....

Hello all, I am about to realize a long held dream---to own a piece of property out in the countryside with the property being zoned as Rural Residential, which legally allows me to engage in agricultural activities.

This property is located in a rural area of Central Florida, south of Ocala. I have a variety of things I am going to do on the property over time such as raise various berries that grow in this area, grow Muscadine grapes for consumption and making into jellies, jams, juice and cider, have some fruit trees, grow watermelons in their season and perhaps even add hops used in beer making---but the number one thing I am going to do thanks to having enough space----start an aquaponics system---starting small at first to learn how to do it. I have a perfect space already existing---a pergola like structure that only needs some minor repairs, put up some translucent material for roofing and some lattice siding, running an electric line to the structure and then get things going to learn how to do this, growing edible plants for my own purposes and also to start taking to the local farmers markets. I do have a space that I am already looking at putting up a greenhouse structure.

I have a source for food grade barrels that someone has for $20 a piece--I am going to get at least ten of them, cutting some in half so I get two beds from each one and cut some using the bottoms to grow other things.

Since those are food grade---I am good with that--but when it comes to piping---I see people using PVC piping---but with using that----does the water supply/water flow PVC have to also be food grade too or can I use what they offer at the big box places like Lowe's, Home Depot or at ag centered places like Rural King, Tractor Supply and a local chain of ag centered hardware/farm supply stores?? I have also found an online source for food grade vinyl tubing, sold in rolls of 100' in length and am considering using that for water supply lines.

I have purchased a series of books on this subject--some have arrived and others yet to come--I have also joined this site obviously and others online on this subject to learn about how to do this---I am also thinking I will take a trip over to Austin, Texas to take a weekend class offered by the owner of Austin Aquaponics to get some hands on experience from someone who started small and is now a major operation.

I would most appreciate any feedback from those who have already done this as to what sort of water supply lines you might suggest---so thanks in advance.

Welcome, all of the system I have seen in AZ have all used the PVC piping...I have it throughout my entire system. I would stay away from using the vinyl tubing, I would think that it would be harder to work with.

Good luck...you might want to check out my set-up, "Pipe Siphon by Apollo"

well farmermikeg I am living in Beverly hills and am new also---id be happy to help you --hit me up and we can maybe set up a date/time to talk on the phone and id be happy to visit you when your doing your build to help out & gte some more hands on experience

Just a note to farmermikeg & thechaossmurl instead of going though your email...you should communicate & help each other with your build on this site. Let other learn as you guys learn, get other people in put/knowledge.

There's a lot of knowledgeable viewers that could give you guys some great information, if given a chance.

This Pink Tilapia was only 1/2" long just over 3 years ago...died from the lack of electricity. I guess I learned the hard way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish #!.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	5007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish #2.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	5008  

yeah he never did get ahold of me in here or by email -either one -----I was just giving him another option to get ahold of me through ----how can I delete that email from my post --or can an admin for this site delete it by chance ?

You should be able to go back to that post, select the "Edit Post" & remove any part of the post. Than hit "Save".

My biggest complaint with this side is the lack of response from the viewers & members. Part of the problem in my opinion is the fact that members are not being notified that their was a response. In the last 1 1/2 years the only notification that I've received was from you & Jason, the man in charge.

yeah I tried that 2 times earlier and it didn't seem to stick --then I just changed it & closed totally out of the site right fterwards ---now its changed to not show my email ---guess after ya change it ya need to log out then log back in ???? anyways yeah im trying to link my design to no avail at all im able to text it someone on my phone but cant find where I saved it on computer to send it onto this website ----lousy computer skills here
    if you want me to send it to you & you put it in here somewhere my cell is 352 423 3666

Try to text it to your email address, open the picture, right click then send it to your deck top. Now right click to rename it, then go to browse on this site, click on desk top, find it, click on Open, OK, now you should be back on this site, click down load.

I think that is 100% correct, if not it's pretty close.

darned email on yahoo is blocking my cellphone --ironic seeing as it knows my cell number IS my emergency contact and password reset texting number