Thread: Pond Aquaponics

Members

Pond Aquaponics

Hi, I'm currently in Uganda trying to build an aquaponic system for an NGO...they already have 3 fairly large tilapia ponds, so I'm thinking of using the smallest one (100,800 L) for aquaponics. Can someone share some tips on the differences between pond and tank aquaponics? I've only done aquaponics with tanks before. Specifically:
    1) Do I still have to circulate the volume of the FT (or pond in this case) every hour? That seems excessive.
    2) Can I size a RFF the same way as in tank aquaponics?
    3) How can the fish in the pond receive adequate aeration? Do I need airstones and an air pump? The area doesn't have electricity, so we're trying to keep the power requirements minimal and use solar.

Thanks!

Members
    Good morning pe2016:
    I am a newbie, 2 years of thinking and nothing built yet. I do have most of the equipment bought and set aside for my system. I highly suggest you read "Aquaponics 101" (tab at the top of the home page.) I am pretty sure your last question will be answered, and I think someone will speak up soon on the other questions. Is your solar backed up with a battery bank, for night time? Hang in there, and good luck on your project! PPP (Please Post Pictures) as your build progresses and it helps others with your questions.

Members
    Hi aqually, ok thanks. And yes, I'm planning on using an old car battery to store the solar power.