Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: home grown

Re: home grown

We used to have a friend who fished in Medical Lake, Wa. It was always rumored that people were finding medicinal trophys while fishing in the lake, since it is located next to a hospital for the criminally insane. Sure enough, one day he caught a body part (leg), and when reporting the incident, the police just told him it was a normal occurrence and not to worry about it. You can say all you want, but I would NEVER eat anything out of that lake ..... I value my life and health too much. The government has always minimized the effects of the poisons in our public waters, especially if they are caused by a governmental agency, I see no reason to trust them now ..... pollution is not good, even if it is recycled by fish .... that's why I'm raising my own fish! If I lived in Florida, I, too would be concerned about mercury in the waters, and I wouldn't be waiting to find "extra heads, tails or fins" to start worrying!
    Just my 2 centavos ......
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Much of what Florida is seeing is caused by over population. The aquifers are being used up at an alarming rate and runoff from sewerage is to blame for much of it. I think lack of water is going to be the next big crisis.

Here in NY GE was to blame for dumping used transformer oil into the Hudson. That oil was load with PCB's. The state & feds were able to get them to stop, but never got them to pay for the cleanup down river. The PCB's primarily effected fish and animals that were bottom feeders or ate bottom feeders. Crabs, eels, striped bass had a don't eat advisory for years. Now 20 years later the PCB's seem to have cleaned themselves up. I read a report that some sort of naturally occurring microbe was eating them. The Hudson is now clean enough to swim in, fish in and is the major source of drinking water for cities up & down the Hudson.

The old time pollution that was big in the 50's and 60's is pretty much stopped. The fines and enforcement is prohibitive.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I still wouldn't trust the water ... or the fish either!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

I wouldn't either. My point is that it is all too easy to point the finger at commercial sources of pollution, when it is actually US that is the bigger problem. We like to point the finger at others, but not step up when the real issue is exposed.

The link below tells a story many of us forget, but as a senior in an Ohio high school I remmber the story clearly:
    http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/01 ... y_beh.html

You'd be hard pressed to find inductrial polluters with illegal discharges any more, thank goodness, but any trip down any river will find homes and municipalities dumping sewerage into the waterways. Yep, homegrown food is the safest way to go.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Well Florida does have issues with the government allowing certain industries to get permits to dump some things in rivers. Dioxin laden waters producing what they were calling bearded lady fish but of course that story probably had lots of spin for both angles.

In any case, growing your own is a good idea where possible.

Yes, here in FL we are overpopulated and there are far too many communities that require people to maintain the silly landscaping that was installed by the developers so the runoff from the over fertilized lawns is bad for the surface waters and everyone pumping tons of water out of the aquifers to water those lawns is bad for the aquifers. And then there is everyone using flush toilets dozens of times a day!!!!! (if you can't tell, I'm a firm supporter of humanure composting.) Simply flushing stuff away doesn't send it away, it simply sends it back to the drinking water supplies hoping that dilution will take care of the pollution. Well my friends, there are too many people on the planet now for dilution to really work so well anymore.
    TCLynx