Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Dave's ground breaking news.

Hey David, those tilapia fry are still here when you are ready. I’ve been keeping them in the boy’s fish tank. A couple of the hogs of the bunch have almost doubled in size.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

...WOW....'Thanks Stucco'. I just set up a 50 gal aquarium in the house. I had it in the FL room to make sure it wasn't leaking. I kept the filter running to keep it from freezing... ....hope I never have to say that again !

I need to get a heater and an air pump. Then I can hook up with you....
    Been pricing and looking, should be soon.....Thanks so much , again.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Don't ya just LOVE Global Warming! 14F here in the Hudson Valley. They have Ice Breakers working the Hudson!
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Don't ya just LOVE Global Warming!
    ....I wonder what Al Gore's HEATING bill will be this month???... I wish I could remeber...someone took his average 'monthly' electric bill and figured out how many AV size houses could be powered for a 'year'.
    Do as I say, not as I do.....

Badflash, If we had ice breakers comming down the Saint John's river....now that would be something ! ...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Ever see the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". In the movie it all started with global warming
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    Ever see the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". In the movie it all started with global warming
    That was a good movie....

As long as you suspend your beliefs in the laws of thermodynamics and physics.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    As long as you suspend your beliefs in the laws of thermodynamics and physics.
    I agree

Hey! we've had 40 and 50 degree weather for the past 3 days ..... don't you guys go jinxing it now with talk about 14F temps
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

WOW, I need to get this thread back on track....it's drifting south like one of the poor polar bears stuck on a melting ice berg.....

Ok, I have pretty much, set up a breeder tank inside the house. I did a spin-off of Evanj' s idea. THANKS EVAN...
    Its a 50 gal tank. I recieved an undersized filter with a bio-wheel , when I bought the tank. So I've added a bio-box.
    I used an 1 1/2 pipe inside the box. You can see I added an airfilter stone.

I placed a sheet of perferated plastic over this, then added some shade cloth for bio material. This time I droped in a small fountain pump on top of the shade cloth. The bio box is also acting as a sump.
    I added the same kind of box on top, but cut down to the hieght of 7 inches, This is my 'mini' constant flood GB. It has a 1 inch drain in the bottom....which slides 'inside' of the 1 1/2 pipe, inside the lower box. (I made a hole in the lid of the lower box)
    I planted a couple patio tomatoes in the plastic baskets used for pond plants. The water in the GB is only 3 inches deep. The idea is...the root's bottom will be down in the water, the upper half of them will be abouve the water (for air).

I'm using an air lift syphon, in the FT. My thinking was.....if something 'happens'....the water will only drain part way and then stop. I drilled a hole in the side of a coupling and inserted the air tube in about a 1/4 inch.

So the drain doesn't create a vacume, I added an opening, on the 'tee'. Return is on the left, drain is the on the right.

The way I keep the FT from over flowing, is by using a float switch. I simply attached it to the lid of the tank.

The switch shuts off the 24 volts, that pulls in the contactor, which is feeding power to the pump. I'm using a 120 to 24 volt transformer. Since I do A/C (and heating ) work....I had this stuff...so I used it ...

To keep the bio box/sump from overflowing. I came out the side of the box with 1 1/2 pvc. I reduced it to 1 inch pipe , just before it went through the floor. My house is raised off the ground, also my floors are wood. I'd rather have a hole in the floor, then water pouring onto it.

Besides, I asked my wife. She said it would be fine. Some day I'll actually meet 'her' and fall in love and marry 'her'... No, I'm not married. OK, a quick shameless plug for myself....Christian male, early 50's, looking for a lady that loves the Lord, aquaponics and likes to live were it's 'usually' warm ! BONUS: I can cook...used to be a chef. ..... 'PM' me !