Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Members

Re: Dave's ground breaking news.

hey frnd I want daily updated news plz suggest me a site or anything else…

Quote Originally Posted by samlauncher
    hey frnd I want daily updated news plz suggest me a site or anything else…
    Sorry Sam....some how I missed your posting... ...till just now (?)
    Hope all is well with you.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Well, I finally get the hoops bent and secured to the troughs. Decided to add the tomatoes, before I put up the shade cloth.
    I'm trying some tomatoes in the rafts. They are some of the plants that I didn't sell....wanted to do something with them. Hope you can see the strings in the pictures...I'm trying to give them a little support.
    I hope to 'at least' keep the mater plants alive during the 'heat' of the summer. I know they are nutrient hogs. Last summer, I just had duck weed.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Summer is really here....July 1st, When I was a 'Yank', we used to say 'knee high by the Forth of July'...in regards to the corn growing. Corn season in central FL is long gone .. Not a lot does well in the heat here in central FL...
    Here are a few items growing in my little media beds....

Hanging off to the left is an egg plant...may be too late for him (?) You can see the okra and sweet taters are taking off. The beds are really too small and shallow for either, but they are using up some nitrates... Just out of the picture, is a plum tomatoe.

I still have a few tomatoes growing ...the plum and homesteads seem to being doing best. But even they are starting to slow down, at least they are still alive.
    I'll have to dig out my seeds, it's time to start the bell peppers for our 'cool' season gardens...

I hope everyone has a safe and a blessed 4th Of July weekend !

Members

does fl have a problem with the tobacco virus in the summer on tomatoes

I haven't had a problem with it my self. I believe it is here in FL...we have every other mold-disease-virus problem.... thanks to the heat and especially the humidity.
    Maybe Urbanfarmer can chime in on that question

I heard if you smoke, you can increase the chances of getting it. I don't smoke, and I don't let anyone in my garden that does, until they wash their hands.

The growbeds look good , I have to review the "Florida Gardening month by month" book to see what I can grow now with this heat.

Thanks Sam

Good luck with the 'heat'....

Members

Really nice fish tank! Do you have any more pics of the build? What are the dimensions? Did you use just one layer of 2x6 for the walls?

Thanks kneedeepinwater...
    The only picts I have of the build, are on pages, 1, 4 and 5.

It's aprox 9 ft long, 3 ft wide and 3 ft high.
    The sides are 6 inch wide boards....but they are 'fence pickets' and are only 5/8 inch thick.... ...and there is only one layer. There is one 2x4 at the top of the fence pickets. That may be why you thought they were 2x6's.
    The posts add most of the strength...they are just over a foot apart, and 3 feet in the ground.
    The top rail also adds some strength. I just wish I'd used something wider. If you stand at an end, and look down the side...you can see it bowing by an inch or so.