Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Re: Dave's ground breaking news.

From the looks of that pic above, I'm not sure that looking in ditches for my Tilapia is too good an idea
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    have a breeder colony of T. hornorum. Yesterday I spotted a bunch of 1" fingerlings. I check these guys every day for holding females and never saw a thing.
    How old are they before you can tell the sexes apart ? Of course you've been doing this for sometime. I was 'guessing' when I checked mine....seeing as how it was the first time.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope
    From the looks of that pic above, I'm not sure that looking in ditches for my Tilapia is too good an idea
    I love that picture

Did you click on the link and watch the video ? Thats even better...lol

http://www.wesh.com/news/23224502/detail.html
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

....bummer. Went to clean the tank......no 'mom' fish. She must of jumped durring the night.
    I did have a cover. It has an opening for the filter.The filter was to one side of the opening...she must of hit the opening just right , to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    ....bummer. Went to clean the tank......no 'mom' fish. She must of jumped durring the night.
    I did have a cover. It has an opening for the filter.The filter was to one side of the opening...she must of hit the opening just right , to get out.
    Yup!, I watched the video .... good reason NOT to move too far south! Can't you just shoot it and say it was self-defense?

Sorry to hear that you lost your mama, the good thing is that you can run down to the ditch and get another ...... IF you don't meet up with a hungry aggilater
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

This morning, I thought instead of just letting a gallon or so out of my swirl filter....I'd go ahead and shut off the incoming flow and do a good clean up.

I put the water on my blueberry bushes, citrus, nectarines and a few 'maters' that I have in 5 gal pots.
    I took the garden hose and was trying to flush out the last of the 'pooh'. I was having a heck of a time getting those last 2 pieces out...it was like they were swimming against the flow.... . They were !....tilapia fry are strong swimmers...

I wonder how many I dumped out on my plants ?.... . Of the 2 I saved....one was about 1/2 an inch the other was 3/4".

Quote Originally Posted by ernie
    Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I have a breeder colony of T. hornorum. Yesterday I spotted a bunch of 1" fingerlings. I check these guys every day for holding females and never saw a thing. I'm motivated as the males are $150 each.
    Are you selling the hornorum males for breeding w/ other species like mossambicas?

Are they 'super' males?
    Hi ernie... I don't mind you making the post here....
    I think you may have better results by going to the 'members' list and 'PM' Badflash dirrectly.

I 'wish' I had some super males to sell you.....

I went out to do the mid-day feeding. I decided to take off all the covers, so I could see what was going on.
    Of course, they all start coming up, when I take a cover off. They think they are going to get fed.
    I noticed one staying in a corner.....I kept an eye on her. I was thinking she might be carrying eggs. So I was trying to net her. Just as I was about ready to scoop her up...I saw about 100 fry swim out of her mouth. They liked swimming right through my net.....

I took a section of window screen and lined my net with it. I ended up catching at least 100. I threw them in the 10 gal with the two I found this morning.
    I tossed in some pvc fittings .....hope this helps the little guys hide from the other 2.

Guys that have been doing this for awhile, are probably getting a chuckle out of this.... To all the newb's like myself....We really got to learn to be observant.

I'd get rid of the 2 big ones, or put them back in the big tank. At that age they will suck up all the babies.

I also saw that I never answered your question on sexing. I sex them at about 4". It takes a bit of experience to do it reliably.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

OK...thanks Badflash.

Maybe I'll throw the 2 lill' guys in with the goldfish.