Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Dave's ground breaking news.

I really need to cover my ft. The aglae takes a lot of the nutrients and plays with the ph of the system. The silvers and goldies do like to eat it tho.

The tilapia like it too. The first time I saw them, on their sides swimming, with their faces along the bottom of the aquarium. I thought they had some kind of a disease... . I finally realized they were trying to eat algae.. It's really funny when they get inside the clay flower pot and do it. It looks like I trained them to do loops or something...

Didnt' I read somewhere, that the algae plays a part in using up the waters' oxegen at night ? In the summer, when the water is warmer....it would be more important to watch the algae growth.

I did get some more tomatoes and bell peppers trans-planted yesterday.

One thing I've noticed, the plants never go into 'trans-plant shock' when I add them to the aquaponic system.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    The tilapia like it too. The first time I saw them, on their sides swimming, with their faces along the bottom of the aquarium.
    Mine won't eat the algae off the sides .... the only time they eat algae is if I brush some of the filamentous stuff off the filters
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    One thing I've noticed, the plants never go into 'trans-plant shock' when I add them to the aquaponic system.
    Mine almost always went into shock for a day or two .... many didn't make it ..... that's why I just started throwing in the seeds and let 'er rip! Of course mine was indoors, so that might have made a difference
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

I think the difference is system maturity. If you have rich nutrients, the plants don't notice a disturbance.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Well, I finally finished the cover on the FT... I also covered the long GB with the ground cover. Now I'm wondering, "will it get too hot being black ?"
    I was planning on covering the tomatoes with some shade cloth , maybe that will help..(?)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Maybe you could raise the modules and the water level. more water would be cooler and harder for the cloth to heat up. I see spaghetti sauce in your future.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    Maybe you could raise the modules and the water level
    Hmmmmm....? That's an interesting idea.

Today I noticed how clear the water in my FT was... So I added some shade cloth to the grow beds too.

I wonder if it' s 'just the shade cloth or how much is the duck weed helping...?

The tomatoes have been in for a little over a month. They weren't doing a lot...a few were trying to bloom. The green peppers were just sitting there...they too were blooming....but just not growing. Broccoli and cauliflower just sitting there, growing ever soooo sloooow...... The lettuce in the raft has just been sitting there too.

These are from today.....

The PH of the water has been at or just above '8.' I finally bought some muriatic acid. I've been slowly adding it for about a week now. I finally have gotten into the mid to high '6' readings.
    I noticed the maters started to look nicer first....plus it's obvious they are growing more. The broccoli and cauliflower is showing more color. Today, I noticed they seem to be just starting to grow.
    Since it is now getting warm.....I may not get any lettuce, to speak of.....but I'll leave it grow and bolt, just to have some plants soaking up the nitrites. Don't expect much from the broccoli and cauliflower....but I'll leave them in too.
    I've been adding maxi-crop with iron, to the water. When I first got it...I added a good shot (without measuring)......it sure stained the water.... 'Of course,'... .... I had just gotten the water cleared up by adding shade cloth to most of the system. I'm sure the peat in my modules would be/are staining the water a little bit too.

Man, the tilapia are really growing. I can only see them when they are near the top.....I'd love to be able to get a good look at them. When they come up to 'attack' the pellets, a few of the bigger ones, almost look like they have a little red color to their tails.
    They may be big enough now, to tell the sexes apart. I'd have to drain the FT down almost all the way to be able to catch them. I could try adding some clove oil, even then I think I'd still have to drain the FT some.
    I'd like to get a male and about 5 females, to put in the aquarium inside, for breeders.

I need to get over to FL Fish Farms and get some cat fish. After listening to TCLynx, I think I'll give it a try. I could harvest the tilapia, if this coming winter gets too cold, and still have the cats during the winter.

If you ever want to make a trip down to the ditches for tilapias let me know. I’ve seen quite a few in the last week or so.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie