Members

Aquaponics Tomato Spacing?

Hello all! I am new to aquaponics (although not fishkeeping), but I did my research and hooked up a DIY aquaponic system to my 32 gallon goldfish tank. The growbed is a 10 gallon tank I got in a sale (20"X10"X12"). I used a DIY PVC overflow to drain the water to the growbed since it is lower than my fish tank and I can't drill it. The water is sent back via a pump on the other side of the growbed. This is a continuous flood system with the water level about 4 inches below the surface. I planted some cherry tomato seeds in there and about 6 of them sprouted in a week. I realize that a 10 gallon tank is not going hold 6 tomatoes since they would probably get fairly large. Do anyone know how many tomato plants I could have space wise in my growbed? I have 2 fancy goldfish who are both heavy poopers in the tank. I also have tons of invert and ottos to control algae. Also, how far apart should the tomato plants be?
    Help is appreciated!

Members
    Anyone?

Members
    I'm no expert, but I have 3 big tomato plants in an NFT system that are 8" apart, I believe. I'll measure when I get home. They're a tangled mess, and I have to dig through the vegetation to get the fruit, but they're happy!
    Jason M.

Members
    Cool! My system is a media bed, would that affect my spacing?. What is your stocking and how much light do your tomatoes get? Do they have good yield?

Members
    My FT is a 300gal pond with around 30 goldfish. Check out my other thread "basement aquaponics". I've got the timers set for 12 or 13 hours. I get pretty good growth from kale, swiss char, baby bell peppers, tomatoes, basil, sage, thyme, celery, parsley, lemon grass. Other lettuces haven't done well for whatever reason - I think it probably has to do with shading. You can only get so much light to lower plants using artificial means.
    Jason M.