Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: TCLynx on another Forum

whitebrook Welcome to the forum .... glad to have you here!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Well, I thought it might be handy to link here to my system thread elsewhere as I'm not inclined to re-post the same things in multiple places. My system thread on BYAP has not been as active lately as it used to be, I have not been doing as much re-building or changes as I did once upon a time.
    backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2640
    Started Dec 2007
    Currently
    CHIFT PIST
    Main Fish tank around 700+ gallons
    Sump tank 600+ gallons
    Grow beds total aprox 1400 gallons
    Media river pebbles and washed sea shells
    pH 7.4 (usually, will fluctuate up with well water top ups and down during rainy weather)
    Right now about 72 plate size tilapia and 55 catfish between 1 and 7 lb and undetermined number of tialpia fingerlings/babies.
    TCLynx

Hello TCLynx, ....Nice to meet you.

As Stucco mentioned, I'm just getting started. The offer of some 'blues' sounds great ! . I'd like a few....maybe Stucco and I could 'share' your extras ? I'm trying to get a hold of a large aquarium for inside. So I'd only need a few, depending on their size.

I'll send you a PM........Thanks !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....sit down....relax awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..!
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

TC, I'm either in info overload or just practicing for old age...hope it's the first

Here and in your 'other' forum (94 pages of GREAT reading , by the way ) You use the term....
    CHIFT PIST....... _ _ IN FISH TANK......PUMP IN SUMP TANK , What is the first two letters ???

EDIT:
    THE ABOVE QUESTION WAS ASKED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.....NOW THAT THE SUN IS UP........
    Pssst....hey Dave, it's "Constant Height".....lol......
    Must of made the coffee a litle stronger this morn...........
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Constant Height In Fish Tank Pump In Sump Tank

I personally like the set up where the fish tank overflows into the grow beds and the grow beds drain into the sump tank where the pump draws the relatively clean water back up to the fish tank. This makes it so the pump doesn't need as constant cleaning as mine did before I switched the set up. Also, there is the safety factor in that since there is only one pump and it is not in the fish tank, you can't have the fish tank pump dry if something fails. One of the more common disasters in AP is when some bit of plumbing gets bumped aside or when a sump pump fails, the fish tank pump can empty the fish tank. There are methods to protect against these disasters but my favorite one is simply make the system CHIFT PIST.
    TCLynx

That is basically the way my system is set up. In addition I have air stones in each fish tank. The air pump is on a separate electrical circuit. If something goes wrong with the pump, you still have air, even of it trips the circuit.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

TC/BADFLASH, That does make sense not having to worry (too) much about the pump getting (as) dirty , by being in a sump that is being fed from the GB(s).

You are using a 'no holes overflow'....actually a 'venturi' set up, to help get some of the solids off the bottom of the FT ? I'm just trying to make sure I'm seeing it correctly....thanks.

TC, I know I'm asking lots of questions....hope it's ok, not sure if this is the right place to do it(?)

In regards to the fish tank that you made from 'cattle panels'. ( In your post at B.Y.A.) What type of insulation did you put between the cattle pannel and the rubber liner ? Are you happy with this set up....no problems to speak of ? Do you think this is a better set up then using above ground swimming pools ? Price 'versus' quality ?

I was thinking of cutting the cattle panel in 1/2 length wise, in order to make (aprox) 2 Ft high fish tank(s). How do you figure out what size rubber liner to use ?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you care to share.

I only have one tank that uses what I refer to as a "Plumbers Nightmate" I put the suction of it at the bottom of the tank to pick up solids. Active fish will keep most of it moving, so I'm not sure it matter much in a small less intensive system.

This works fine, but you need to vent the air out of it periodically. If you don't the tank will overflow when it gets air bound. I like drilled systems better.

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    TC/BADFLASH, That does make sense not having to worry (too) much about the pump getting (as) dirty , by being in a sump that is being fed from the GB(s).

You are using a 'no holes overflow'....actually a 'venturi' set up, to help get some of the solids off the bottom of the FT ? I'm just trying to make sure I'm seeing it correctly....thanks.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow