Hybrid View

Newbie considering creating an aquaponics sytem

Hey folks,

we're just starting a farm here in Maine and just to get my feet wet I'm going to build a DIY modified DWC hydroponics system.

It'll have a 30 gallon res, 3 10 gallon beds with rafts and a 30 gallon sump.

Next year, if I'm successful with my hydro work, I want to set up a small aquaponics system, my questions are:

1: What's the minimum size reservoir tank to have for say ctawfish (just enough to feed 3 or 4 people, with say 2 or 3 harvests a year if they populate well)

2: Same question for trout (I'd love to try golden trout but fingerlings are impossible to find so I'm going with brookies)

3: Other cold water fish varieties, I've heard walleye are really good eating, but very aggressive, prone to eating their own young and need tons of space, Any suggestions are welcome and wanted!

Thanks!

Members
    I can"t address any of your questions, but if you read "Aquaponics 101" (it's right under the DIY Aquqponics logo) I am sure you will find your answers. I highly recommend starting at the beginning and take the time to read and comprehend all the material. I am STILL designing my first system and frequently revisit to refresh my knowledge. Hope this is of some help and "Good luck" to you on your hydroponics/aquaponics system builds in the future. aquaally