Members

Comparison between Bell and U or loop Siphon

I am new to Aquaponics and started experimenting with different types of siphon in a tiny Aquaponics system see my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZC...ature=youtu.be

My fish tank is 2 feet by 5 inch by 9 inch (H)

My inflow pipe is 8mm diameter and fills up my GB in 1 minute.

With a bell siphon with stand pipe of 12mm, it can drain my GB in 45 seconds.
    It first takes a few false start to kick off. After changing to a 10mm stand pipe it started after one false start and stop right away. It now takes 1 minute to drain my GB.

With a U or loop siphon with outlow pipe of 12mm, it can drain my GB in 2 minute
    It starts very easily(no false start) but takes 12 false stops to stop, and sometimes takes forever.

Hence I concluded the bell siphon is more efficient in my system.

Members
    can we use grow bed as only filter ?? what if we do not grow plant in grow bed ?

Tank size 2.5 ft x 1.5 ft.

Fishes : 6 Tetra Neon , 3 Mollies , 3 Guppies , 1 Beta Fish , Few Auarium Plants.

I see someone answered your post with their own question. Not good. If you have a question, start your own thread and not piggyback on someone else's thread.

As to your loop siphon cycle time, inasmuch as the drain time is slower with the loop, you need to reduce your inflow to the grow bed so as not to overwhelm the siphon with too much incoming water. This will reduce the number of "false" stops.

It appears that your loop siphon has some restriction in the flow path, for it should drain about as fast as a bell siphon for the same size of pipe. Your drain time should always be less than your fill time.

How large are your grow beds and what is the media in them?

Oliver
    To measure is to know