Thread: Pond

Members

Pond

Hello. I am new to aquaponics. Infact I have not set up any sort of system. But, I was wondering if I could use my pond to supply my seystem there by making the pond water cleaner while using the nutrient to grow vegetables and ornamentals.

Welcome Rich,

You most certainly can use your pond to grow vegetables and ornamentals. That said, how well your plants grow depends on how stocked your pond is. What type of a system are you thinking of putting together?

Jason

Members
    I have been leaning towards a flood and drain but have read that leafy vegtables like constant flow. So then I thought why choose. What if I have a constant flow that empties into a flood and drain. Im not sure if.there would be enough nutrients. I.sapose it would depend on how many plants i run through. But, maybe I could have the best of both worlds.

Members
    However I joined the forum so that i might be able to glean some practical knowledge from others success and failures. And then hopefully be able to contribute do to my own success and failures.

Members
    I have a pond in my basement that runs to 3 F&D and 1 Constant flow bed. I also have a 75gal aquarium FT that feeds 2 DWC beds with tomatoes, peppers, Gogi and oregano growing well.
    Jason M.

Hey Jason,

What are you growing in the constant flow? I have been working to set one up using turtles with fish. Well now turtle, as one died the other day. I was thinking of growing water lettuce as a treat for the turtles as well as help clean up the water. Are you still using your turtles in your setup?

Jason

Members
    Right now the constant flow (a portion of my turtleponics just added to my main pond) currently has rosemary and a green onion - a cutting from the ones we bought from the grocery store. At work, I had some great success with tomatoes, when it was on a cichlid tank. They didn't make the transfer back home, tho. I find they do great when started from seed, but I have yet to have a tomato grown in any of my systems survive a transfer (to dirt or another AP system)
    Jason M.

Members
    How about root crops like patatoes or ginger. Have you tried these types of crops. I am really curious on how often should I flood them.

Members
    is there a limit on the size of pond. my pond is 150 by 200 and 16 feet deep

Members
    You'll need nutrients to feed your plants - if you have too much water it can dilute the fish waste quite a bit. Maybe pick up a nitrate test kit and see if you can get a reading of 30ppm or more.
    Jason M.