Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Making an Aquaponic System with the Growbed LOWER Than the Tank!

Hello! I am quite new to aquaponics and want to turn my 32 gallon goldfish tank into an aquaponic system. Here is the thing, my goldfish tank is set on a long and narrow desk with no room in the back to place anything. It is also quite high since the desk is tall. I can't have anything above the tank since I like my tank to be open-topped and anything above it would ruin the view. I also cannot have a container taller than the tank next to it since it would be too tall for me to maintain. Another issue is the lighting. If the growbed is too tall, the light will not be able to reach it because the wall behind the tank is slanted toward the room, if you know what I mean. I am completely new to this and the closest thing I've done to aquaponic is sticking a few mints into my HOB filter to denitrify. Anyone know a way I can build an aquaponic system with the growbed's height lower than the tank? I am kind of low on budget so I will prefer something cheap and easy to make. It also have to look decent since it is right in my living room. Is this possible? Please help me I am new to aquaponic and really want to try it!

Thanks and comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Members
    If you can make a DIY overflow, you could do a raft system in a sump; otherwise, I don't know how you'll be able to get a growbed w/o going above the tank.
    Jason M.

Members
    I want to do a grow bed with gravel in it because I want to grow tomatoes. When you say DIY overflow, do you mean the overflow people use in reef tanks? I want to avoid drilling my tank since it is already established and full of fish. What is this sump idea that you have? How would it work?

Members
    YouTube "DIY PVC Overflow" to get an overflow w/o drilling your tank. Have that water overflow into a sump tank (tho growing tomatoes in the stand under your tank would be tough) and have a pump in the sump tank. My idea was to have a floating raft system, so that you wouldn't have to try to manipulate a flood & drain in the (assuming) small space you have available. If you have lots of room, then set up a stand beside your tank w. a GB on it and a sump under that. Overflow the water from the FT into the GB and have the GB drain into the sump and pump the water from the sump back into the FT.
    Jason M.

Members
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20150624_121431.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	4845
    Quote Originally Posted by jvision View Post
    YouTube "DIY PVC Overflow" to get an overflow w/o drilling your tank. Have that water overflow into a sump tank (tho growing tomatoes in the stand under your tank would be tough) and have a pump in the sump tank. My idea was to have a floating raft system, so that you wouldn't have to try to manipulate a flood & drain in the (assuming) small space you have available. If you have lots of room, then set up a stand beside your tank w. a GB on it and a sump under that. Overflow the water from the FT into the GB and have the GB drain into the sump and pump the water from the sump back into the FT.
    I have plenty of space next to the tank to put a grow bed since it is a fairly large desk. The thing is, there is no way I could have a sump below the tank. I included a pic of my current setup and I plan to remove the plastic container on the right (it is currently used as a hospital tank for my goldie so once he is well again I can take it away) and put the grow bed there. The table is made out of marble so I can't drill it. Any idea on how I can do the system without drilling the tank or having a sump below the tank? I also can't have fluctuating water level in my tank because it have lots of plants and my goldfish won't appreciate it. I want to have a continuous flow system instead of flood and drain because of that. Any idea how I can achieve that?

Members
    This is how I grow my tomatoes - they're over a 90gal African Cichlid tank.

Jason M.

Members
    Awesome tomatoes! Are the GB behind the tank? I checked out the DIY PVC overflow and thought it was a really good idea. One concern I have though is aesthetic. I think having a bunch of PVC pipe in the tank can look pretty ugly. How did you guys overcome that issue? The pump I am planning on using is 450 gph so the pipe need to be at least 1.25" in diameter and will be pretty big. My tank is only 32 gallon though. Any ideas on how I can make the system?

Members
    Quote Originally Posted by LWormy View Post
    Awesome tomatoes! Are the GB behind the tank? I checked out the DIY PVC overflow and thought it was a really good idea. One concern I have though is aesthetic. I think having a bunch of PVC pipe in the tank can look pretty ugly. How did you guys overcome that issue? The pump I am planning on using is 450 gph so the pipe need to be at least 1.25" in diameter and will be pretty big. My tank is only 32 gallon though. Any ideas on how I can make the system?
    I have 2 rows of 2" pipe laying on top of the tank - it's an NFT system. Water is pumped from the tank (actually a sump, but this design doesn't need a sump) and runs thru the pipes back down into the tank. I painted all pipes and fittings black - it used to be in a living room tank, so I wanted it to look as nice as possilbe. I use Krylon Fusion spraypaint to pain the pipes.
    Jason M.

Members
    THIS THREAD shows where my NFT system started
    Jason M.

Members
    Here's a 10gal system set up with just a tank - no sump (like above) or canister filter (like in the turtleponics thread).
    Jason M.